Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
All the powervalve does is alter the exhaust length.think of it as 2 exh pipes,1 is tuned for low revs,the other for high revs to take advantage of the 'supercharging' effect.previous to pv the pipe was by necessity a compromise resulting in a narrow powerband.
The powervalve is the switch between the 2 pipes,opened by centrifugal force at ?revs.not saying there arent small losses/gains to be had,(i havent explored)
just trying to clarify the powervalve/powerband thing
It offers a dynamic exhaust port, by restricting it with the PV flapper. It's not just open/closed at a certain RPM. The spring also determines the rate at which the PV opens.

As you said though, it also offers a dynamic exhaust effect in that the drum valves are open as the flapper is closed, which increases the volume/length of the exhaust. As the flapper opens, the PV chambers are closed off.

So the whole system works to offer the best results at both ends of the powercurve, but also has a large influence on the nature/flavour of the powercurve depending on the timing and duration at which everything happens.

Ideally you'd want access to a dyno with the intent of getting the strongest spread of useful power at all rpms. By having the PV slam open early all you'll really achieve is a delay in the power hitting hard which may feel faster.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Excellent analogy barossi73.
It's not just the port height which is changed by the powervalve. The area under the left powervalve cover is part of the exhaust system at low rpms and cut out of the system at high rpms.

Munch,
I asked which model you have because, depending on year, there are things other than the powervalve which can change the power delivery characteristics to a harder hitting delivery. (these items will also have compromises in other areas of operation)

Some examples of what I'm referring to are:
On older models with the Boyesen Rad Valve the Power Reeds can be replaced with Pro Series reeds, carbon fiber reeds. Our first experiment, back in 1997 was to install the Pro Series reeds for a '99 Honda CR250. It gave the bike an instant hit.

Installing a MC silencer or a FMF motocross silencer (no spark arrester and very short).

Replacing the right side flywheel weight with the aluminum crank shaft spacer that comes on the MC250. This would remove 7 oz of flywheel weight.

The RB designs head mod made a huge difference in the delivery of my 2006 DE300.

Different year and model cdi boxes will have different ignition curves.

What year and model are you running?
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 06-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
It offers a dynamic exhaust port, by restricting it with the PV flapper. It's not just open/closed at a certain RPM. The spring also determines the rate at which the PV opens.

As you said though, it also offers a dynamic exhaust effect in that the drum valves are open as the flapper is closed, which increases the volume/length of the exhaust. As the flapper opens, the PV chambers are closed off.

So the whole system works to offer the best results at both ends of the powercurve, but also has a large influence on the nature/flavour of the powercurve depending on the timing and duration at which everything happens.

Ideally you'd want access to a dyno with the intent of getting the strongest spread of useful power at all rpms. By having the PV slam open early all you'll really achieve is a delay in the power hitting hard which may feel faster.
Excellent advice as always Jakobi.
I figure that Munch is looking at the adjustable powervalve featured in newer models and on KTMs and such and trying to bring that over to his bike.
I wish I could offer him more help, but am not knowledgeable enough to give him any help in the manner he has requested.
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 AM

The bike is a 2007 250ec but I've only put about 2 hours on it myself and half of that was breaking in the bike, it's spent more time with the engine in pieces than together since I've owned it.

I'm not looking to change anything right now but will do in the next week or 2 I think. From what I've read and from the time I have spent on the bike the powerband doesn't seem as aggressive as I want. I do mostly trail riding but since I am coming from a kx 125 with that engine I was almost always in the powerband and I am think I am going to find the GG a bit too boring, it's definitely quick enough but just not the sort of power I want if that makes sense.

It was previously owned by a woman in her 40's so I think it was super tamed down. I have checked the flywheel and it looks stock, the only thing I can see having been done is the reed block has a huge spacer in it.

In regards to the RB mods I was looking into the carb & head but I am from the UK and I imagine it would cost so much to send it over and then a really long delay to get it back and stuff.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM

My bike started as an XC 300 and came with the Kokusan 2K2 ignition.. It's a smaller diameter and quite a bit lighter flywheel. This allowed the engine to spool up very quickly, but mitigated the tractor like quality these bikes are known for. Just something to consider for faster acceleration, especially if you don't need a lot of electricity.

You could remove the reed spacer, which I believe will hinder low end, giving a (unnoticeable in my opinion) slightly stronger hit when the PV opens. You'll need to pick up shorter socket head bolts for this. It does make messing with the carb a bit easier, and took a bind off my air boot and let it relax around the shock a bit nicer as well.

Other than that, there are ways to adjust the PV but not something I have any inclination to mess with so I never have read into it much.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRider01 View Post
My bike started as an XC 300 and came with the Kokusan 2K2 ignition.. It's a smaller diameter and quite a bit lighter flywheel. This allowed the engine to spool up very quickly, but mitigated the tractor like quality these bikes are known for. Just something to consider for faster acceleration, especially if you don't need a lot of electricity.

You could remove the reed spacer, which I believe will hinder low end, giving a (unnoticeable in my opinion) slightly stronger hit when the PV opens. You'll need to pick up shorter socket head bolts for this. It does make messing with the carb a bit easier, and took a bind off my air boot and let it relax around the shock a bit nicer as well.

Other than that, there are ways to adjust the PV but not something I have any inclination to mess with so I never have read into it much.
Yeah, what he said.
Plus, you should have the cdi with the two different ignition mappings. I believe that they all did from late 2005 and on up. A switch run to the two wires coming from the cdi that plug into each other (but don't go anywhere else) are where you connect the switch.
One map is definitely more aggressive than the other. (MX vs Enduro, or sunny vs rainy)

I've found that the EB designs head mods are definitely worth the money, as you tighten your squish band at the same time, raising compression.

As I stated before, you can replace the 8 oz crank balancing weight on the right side of the crank with an aluminum spacer from the MC250 (which will result in more vibration), and you can also use a FMF Shorty MX silencer (or even better, a Messico MC silencer.

A FMF Gnarly pipe will give you a bigger hit down low, but will cost you some top end performance. A Messico pipe. a CRD, or a DEP pipe will be softer on bottom, but will enhance top end performance.

Good luck and Good Riding!
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up

One more thing. If you keep the GG250 in the meat of the powerband, (5,500 rpm and up), or like you kept the KX while riding it, you will not find it boring.
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Also check what jets/needle you have in there.the style of delivery can be quite different just from a needle swap
Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Also check what jets/needle you have in there.the style of delivery can be quite different just from a needle swap.
There is also a 'trusty' powervalve cover which allows pv adjustment,replaces the lh pv cover.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM

I think if I post more about it I'll end up taking over the thread, I'll get some hours on the bike and decide how I like the power and if I want it changed I'll create my own thread with videos of bike and jetting info ect.