Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Power Valve Opens Too Fast?

Ever since I've taken delivery of the 2012, I've struggled to get some low end torque and throttle response, basically just to make the thing run like a 300. I've tried many different carburetor settings, including 2 different pilot jets, two different main jets, four different jet needles, and various air screw settings. One thing has been constant: no bottom end! I even pulled the 36mm carb from our '11 250 to replace the '12's 38mm. That seemed to help most but is not a viable option; I didn't want to deal with the 38mm on the 250 when it runs perfectly with its original 36.

After going all over the map with carburetion and still not curing the problem, I decided there must be something wrong with the new 300's exhaust power valve. So today I pulled the exhaust pipes from both bikes, removed the right side pv covers, then reinstalled the pipes. When revving the bikes at low rpm and small throttle openings, it's obvious the 250 opens more gradually than the 300. When you blip the throttle on the 300 very much at all, its valve opens completely. When I rev the 250 identically, by ear not tachometer, the valve opens partially. Seems to me I found out what's causing the lack of bottom end, but why?

I do not have a lot of experience with the GG power valve set up. I've never had an issue with one. What would cause the valve to open too quickly and how do I fix it?

Last edited by mcnut; 05-21-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added pic

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

you could shim the PV governer, which would cause it to open later.
Be nice if it were adjustible like the KTM's

Trusties makes a accessory that bolts onto the left side cylinder and is a adjustible PV by using a spring to preload the pv shaft.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM

First I'm sure you checked that there was no excessive slop in the system and the actuator returns to contact with the stop bolt. That said then yes, like moto9 noted, I'd check the governer to see if it has any preload shims. You can pull the covers off both bikes to compare. Your not the first to notice this, it has come up in the past comparing two older bikes. I don't know off hand the correct number of shims or thickness, or if the springs are different, would be good to check into. Maybe you have some incorrect parts in there. I would think there should be a test in the mfg. process to verify correct operation of the governer, but thats just how we would do it here, not Spain.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM

If anything the 250 has more slop than the 300. I just walked out to the barn to check.
As I said my experience with the GG power valve is practically nil. I've only done a top end on a GasGas once, and I've slept since then. When you say remove the covers to look at the shims, I assume you mean the water pump and right side engine covers? Looking at the parts diagram, I can't figure out what you mean.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM

The entire primary side cover. The quick access clutch and water pump covers may be left intact, only a couple longer through bolts need to go. Just drain the coolant and oil, pop off the starter and coolant hoses, and have at the bolts. I like the GG PV design, its rugged, simple, and made of steel. The KTM and Husky are way over complicated by comparison, full of orings and soft alloy parts.

If you need a copy of the GG engine shop manual let me know I'll email you a PDF copy.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM

FORK! That's what I thought you meant. I've got the parts diagram. I don't see the shims you're talking about.
Forgive me but I'm not especially enthused with having to go through all of this on a brand new bike! I've got countless hours in testing, switching carb parts and settings. I bought a couple needles I probably didn't need. Now I'll have to get a right side gasket before I can do anything. Plus, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for once I get this thing torn apart. FORK!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
FORK! That's what I thought you meant. I've got the parts diagram. I don't see the shims you're talking about.
Forgive me but I'm not especially enthused with having to go through all of this on a brand new bike! I've got countless hours in testing, switching carb parts and settings. I bought a couple needles I probably didn't need. Now I'll have to get a right side gasket before I can do anything. Plus, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for once I get this thing torn apart. FORK!
McNut, Do a search on powervalve and you'll come up with a lot of threads. There is one in particular that gives you all you need to know. It is not that big a deal to do and sounds way harder than it is.
This may be it- http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ght=powervalve on page 4 of that thread there is a post by mlbco that has very good pictures to help you, it has a lot of info in it. Also worth a try to take the side cover off, a lot of times the gaskets will stay intact, I've done it several times myself. If you have trouble getting a gasket let me know I keep several here
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Last edited by Fred1956; 05-21-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM

My 2005 EC300 lacked the low-end power that my 2000 XC300 has. The big difference was compression. I ended up swapping the stock head for a RB modified head and I got my monster back. With a CCL needle, it's a rheostat.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM

I had the misadjusted powervalve...fixed and it is everything you could want in a 300. LOTS of people have had this.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Thanks everybody. This issue has been very frustrating, costly, and extremely time consuming.
I always try to search the forums for answers but can't seem to find the right posts. The one Fred gave me was very infomative.