Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
Jeff, do U think a neck brace would have stood up to those forces?
Btw, thanks for posting that info about Magoo. I was able to watch a few more of him while I was at it. Man that guy was exciting to watch! Sad story. I hope he was able to get that Van.Thanks, Bob.
Unfortunately, he passed away before he was able to receive the van. I think it was purchased and being customized for his use at the time of his death. Really Sad.

Brad Lackey made a statement about working with the family, etc. on what would happen next with the fund raising and van, etc.

jeff

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I remember when that happened to Magoo. I was a kid then and did not understand or appreciate the magnitude of his injury.

I tried on an Alpinestar brace on the weekend. It was too small but I could see how movement could be restricted.

I am going to look into the Omega braces a bit further.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM

The biggest downside of the Leatt is its a clavicle breaker, thats where it transfers the energy of an impact, through a very small contact area. Now before you flame me and say "its better than a broken neck", there have been a lot of cases of broken clavicles from minor crashes that normally would not have caused a neck injury, stuff that you experience daily riding offroad. This is from the riders themselves, and I know a guy who broke three like this! A clavicle takes on average 8 -12 lbs to fracture. I have a plated right clavicle, I tried on his Leatt, NO WAY could I wear that. The hard frame rested on my plate like a center punch waiting to get hit with a hammer! I couldn't even stand it on me in the shop. The EVS was a lot more comfortable, but I think it would be more cumbersome riding. I have not tried the others. I use an EVS neck roll, of course its not like a full brace but its wearable to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had similar concerns, knowing how fragile the clavical is. I do like the idea of the neck roll. Haven't bought one yet, but they're lots cheaper than all the crap I've been throwing money at lately, so I probably should.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I have been using a leatte for about a year now, and until you have it setup correctly it is horrible. It took me three rides to get it set properly and now i do not notice it while riding.

I would not recommend the adventure brace (unless you have a long neck) because it has limited adjustments and if you cannot adjust it so that iti is comfortable you will not use it.

From what i have read the neck rolls are more for clavical protection and will actually worsen a neck related fall by creating a fulcrum and increasing the strain on your neck.

There are other options out there now (pro grip, omega, evs, A stars) and i think in a few years they will be as common as helmets
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Yes there are more options now. Leatt was the first and has a certain design philosophy, that being the brace is rigid and TRANSFERS all the energy to the clavicle area. While it has saved riders I'm sure, the sacrificial clavicle is unacceptablre to me, having had three surgeries and a lot of down time. And if you have plate already its horrible, unless your fat there is not much meat there (I can feel and count the screw heads in mine).

The EVS design philosophy, from examining the brace, is one of progressive ABSORBTION of energy to a certain point and then TRANSFER of the rest but over a much wider area of the shoulder. To the untrained individual, this brace appears like "cheap plastic" and inferior to the Leatt. To me as an engineer, it makes a lot more sense. I have not looked at the other options but would choose one with this design in mind. I would like to get one for my younger son soon.

As far as which is more effictive, time will tell, but the Leatt being the first has more data available. Its a personal choice, and many just feel more comfortable using what is more established.

Look at them all, try them on, and remember its all about energy transfer/absorbtion, it has to go somewhere.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Glenn, I like your thought process and advice on this issue. I would really prefer not to go down the road that you and Steve (NH Rider) went through with the collar bone problem.

While I'd like to have one of these things it's hard to know without trying them all on and as usual for around where I live no one carries more than 1 model if that. Now you resort to mail order/return/repeat which is a pain.

Anyone see a big neck brace shootout in any of the mags???
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM

Thats a good idea. I know Dr. Mark on TT had a knee brace performance comparison, and whether or not it could be used as a preventative to an uninjured knee.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Site Sponsor

i use an evs rc3 race collar. i've broken both collarbones in wrecks (1 twice..) - - i think the helmets hit the collarbone in the wrecks and caused the breaks. i've wrecked substantially in the dirt since using the collar, and have not broken either since. not to say that it won't happen, but it definitely pads the helmet from contacting the clavicle directly...

i would probably consider a leatt or similar, just haven't had a chance to try any of them out for fit. i'd like to try the evs rc evo - it looks like it might pad collarbone and prevent neck injuries.. and since i use an evs flux chest protector, it looks like the fit would be optimal...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 AM

I came to the same conclusion as GMP, dam engineering schooling . I believe the Omega brace looks like a good option, built along the same lines as the EVS (progressive energy absorption and then energy transfer, like a car "crumble zone"). I've been meaning to go try on both the EVS and Omega brace, I'll have to do that soon.