Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Classified Advertisements > Used Bikes

Used Bikes Used Bikes For Sale - No Part Outs

Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 AM

Default '03 bmw r1150gs adventure

FOR SALE:

Big dual sport that begs for long rides, a camp site, and a fire under the stars. Asking $7K; it's a stock bike (no accessories). Delivery/shipping possible or pick it up in Marquette, MI next to Lake Superior for a good first trip. Please contact Charlie for more information or post your phone number for me to call/text.

2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure

Cruise pavement and explore gravel roads, two tracks and trails with this bike.

Historically, BMW produced motorcycles before automobiles and the company's roots are actually in aircraft engines which is why their logo looks like a propeller. This bike's engine is horizontally-opposed, like those found in airplanes, Volkswagen Beetles and Subarus. I see three inherent "boxer" design advantages over a V-twin:
1. The cylinders stick out sideways into the air, keeping combustion/heat down-low, away from your seat.
2. The flat-twin's weight sits lower and so does its center of gravity, providing good balancedand maneuverability, even at slow speeds.
3. The "boxer" protects you from the elements and adds more comfort, like a set of lower fairings on a bagger.

Unlike a cruiser, the GS has an upright riding position. It's comfortable and makes the rider more visible in traffic. It'll put you eye-level with a full-size truck when seated. Get up on the pegs; stretch out on an all day-long ride, and play in the corners.

The rear wheel on the GS is shaft-driven so easy maintenance-no OILY chain to tighten, plus the sealed drivetrain won't pick-up expensive rocks like a belt drive. There's fuel-injection, six-speed trans, a hydraulic clutch, catalytic converter, and heated grips. It has Brembo's power anti-lock brakes that link the front and rear wheels together to prevent endos, to reduce the risk of skidding out and increase your chance of survival.

This bike is the factory-built ADVENTURE model that weighs close to a Harley-Davidson Sportster, yet it has touring bike features. It originally costs a couple thousand dollars more than a standard GS because it includes:
  • 7.9-Gallon Gas Tank
  • Taller Ground Clearance
  • Longer Suspension Travel
  • One-piece Seat
  • Two DC Power Ports
  • Bigger Windshield
  • Protective Engine Guard
  • More Responsive 1st and 6th Gears
  • Plus, an anti-knock sensor that allows the engine to run on the lower-quality fuels you'll find in the middle of nowhere.[/FONT]
Purchased May, 2003 from a BMW Motorrad dealer in Chicago; it's gone trouble-free up the Dempster Highway and around Newfoundland. A clean, well maintained two-wheeler it has 37,288 miles on the odometer and counting. Began synthetic oils at 13k miles to ensure the bearings seated properly. Valve adjustments and fluid changes were completed at the manufacturer's recommended service intervals. Dealer-synchronized throttle bodies, and both brake and clutch lines have been flushed. Fuel line couplers replaced with metal fittings. New gel battery installed 2014. Never seen salt, kept inside under a cover, connected to a battery tender, gassed-up with fuel stabilizer added. BMW's low seat is on it, I do not have the taller stock seat and my inseam is 30"; it's a reach but no problem. Tires may have 1,000 miles left on them and there's a minor ding in the left corner of the gas tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by celester; 04-06-2016 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Trying to upload nor images...

Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I don't normally recommend other sites, but that would probably sell pretty fast on the adventure riders forum, if you don't see much action here. Didn't see it listed on that site, forgive me if its already there.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:34 AM

Thank you Vaughn; I've got it posted on Adventure Rider as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 AM

I love my bmw. One day I'll have a GS.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 03-30-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
I love my bmw. One day I'll have a GS.
Me too. Man, that RSL is sick; looks like it has the telelever front end too. They seem to have a more-vertical motion of travel than a set of forks when you grab the front brake and push down/forward. I haunted by a dream of putting a 21" on the front of this one, along with a smaller tank, and then see how it handles the dirt and maybe ice around here. But that'd be pricey, and I just really want to be on the single track again. Plus, there's already a deposit on a '16 woods bike for me, which is why this one's up for sale. Glad that Gassers are going again; I've heard great things about the frame, engine, and parts. Made me want one, and I wonder what's next for them...oil injected two-strokes, direct injection, and whether a new ELECTRIC trials or enduro model will soon have enough range/battery for trail riding?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM

You should just have multiple bikes. The RSL is a highway eater. Cruises at 80-90 without breaking a sweat.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 03-30-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
One day I'll have a GS.
Yesterday at Tahuya

Tags