Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
What other bikes have you had that you can compare it to? I have ridden 250 mx bikes converted to off road for 25 years so we likely have some overlap.
I have a 2002 250 Gasser, I also had a 2008 300 and a 2012 300 I have had many other bikes through the years too many to list.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrider View Post
I have a 2002 250 Gasser, I also had a 2008 300 and a 2012 300 I have had many other bikes through the years too many to list.
Would you mind comparing the 250x motor to the 250 and 300 GasGas you owned. The only thing I have read to date is the YZx is a lot smoother than a YZ but does not have the low end or smoothness of a KTM 300.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:55 PM

Everyone seems to miss what Yamaha is trying to do here. The x models are aimed at GNCC and National Enduro style competition. They fall in line with KTM's XC line. There are now 2 of the yz250x's in my riding group and they are awesome bikes. One guy likes to ride the super hard stuff (qualified for Sunday's event at the TKO last year) and the other guy likes the faster stuff. Both love these bikes and say it's the best bike they have ever owned. The suspension is perfect right out of the box, just spring it and you're ready to go. The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner. Flip the clutch and it will explode and remind you why you love a 2t. No e-start? no worries this bike can be started by hand, literally I have seen it done. And as far as the 6 speed it really doesn't need it. First is a granny gear, you can walk beside the bike but, in 5th it will still run 70mph. how fast do you need to go? The gearing is spaced perfectly and the bike likes to be ridden in 2nd and 3rd.

If I were to compare it to my 2011 300 in stock form I would say the yz had nearly as much low end and revs higher and faster than the 300, making a little more top end power. They truly are awesome machines. The YZ450FX is out now and it is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner.
For Yamaha's sake that's a good thing. I traded off with a guy yesterday, and his "completely dialed" woodsy YZ250 was either sucking wind or trying to pull your arms off. The ignition and porting on the MX bike have always been a compromise for woods riding.

Beyond that, the whole bike felt dated, and the X will as well, just because they are.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Everyone seems to miss what Yamaha is trying to do here. The x models are aimed at GNCC and National Enduro style competition. They fall in line with KTM's XC line. There are now 2 of the yz250x's in my riding group and they are awesome bikes. One guy likes to ride the super hard stuff (qualified for Sunday's event at the TKO last year) and the other guy likes the faster stuff. Both love these bikes and say it's the best bike they have ever owned. The suspension is perfect right out of the box, just spring it and you're ready to go. The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner. Flip the clutch and it will explode and remind you why you love a 2t. No e-start? no worries this bike can be started by hand, literally I have seen it done. And as far as the 6 speed it really doesn't need it. First is a granny gear, you can walk beside the bike but, in 5th it will still run 70mph. how fast do you need to go? The gearing is spaced perfectly and the bike likes to be ridden in 2nd and 3rd.

If I were to compare it to my 2011 300 in stock form I would say the yz had nearly as much low end and revs higher and faster than the 300, making a little more top end power. They truly are awesome machines. The YZ450FX is out now and it is amazing!

Thanks for the view compared to the GasGas. It seems every review compares it to a YZ 250 which is by no means a smooth off road motor. I road them for 6 years and had them converted to off road. Good bikes but IMO not even the best 250 MX motor I had for off road. Sounds like the x is a lot better but I wonder how it compares to my 250rr Beta. Compared to my 300 GasGas the Beta has a little less low end, better midrange, same on top and more over rev. Since everyone says the x has more over rev than the YZ I'm sure the over rev on the x is better than the Beta.

The other concern I have with the x is the gap between 3rd and 4th. It is wider than the Beta which is wider than the GasGas. No big deal in the open when you are using all the power but in the tighter stuff I like to be able to pick between gears depending on the traction. Seem no one has commented on that. If the x really has a good motor it may well be able to make this jump.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post

The other concern I have with the x is the gap between 3rd and 4th. It is wider than the Beta which is wider than the GasGas. No big deal in the open when you are using all the power but in the tighter stuff I like to be able to pick between gears depending on the traction. Seem no one has commented on that. If the x really has a good motor it may well be able to make this jump.

In 4th are you not out of the tight stuff or are you that fast?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM

That is in the woods where average speeds are 20+ MPH. Real common in terrain that has a lot of sand but is not limited to this terrain. I originally come from the Midwest and now live in AZ and find I gear the same where ever I ride. My woods speed is good - Top 5 local from 1978-2009. Could break the top 20 in nationals. Now I just ride so lost a little speed but still love it!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

My 40A riding buddy would agree with Memphis, including the hand start c

He was a KTM devotee' (250 2T and 350 4T).

He loves the Yammie. Motor and suspension, in particular. I can't recall his comments on handling.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

My riding buddy is riding one instead of his TM and really likes his , but if I bought one it would clash with the colors in my bike room . No wait that would make it Red,White n Blue . I mite have to give it some thought ? Nope cant do it lovin my Gassers !
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Rode an '05 GasGas EC300 for 5 years, just got a 2016 YZ250X.
Have about 25 hours on the X now.
The 250X motor is smooth, real smooth. Good torque off the bottom, but definitely not as tractor-like as the GG 300 (not sure if any motor is!) No big power-band hit at the top, stays pretty linear throughout the range. Seat of my pants tells me it gets to the top quicker than the GG, but that could be imagined, I dunno.
The numbers say the 250X has 44 hp, the GG had 48. The 250X weighs a LOT less (open to debate), I say 25 pounds less, truely. Could be why she feels quicker.
Maybe its just me improving as a rider, or its the bike, but I can loft the front tire in 4th and 5th with the 250X, had trouble doing it on the GG.