Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Used EC250 Questions

I looked at a used '04 EC250 today, and have a couple questions.

1) There appears to be an extra set of holes in the top triple clamp so that the bar mounts may be moved forward. Is this normal for this bike? I haven't read anything about this feature, so that's why I'm asking.

2) When I push down to compress the forks, and then release, there is a "clunk" that can be felt through the handlebars right when the forks return all the way to their uncompressed position. Does this mean anything? I've never felt that on other bikes.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 AM

Not sure about Question 1, though my top triple clamp is slotted so maybe

Question 2. Sounds like loose headset bearings.

Someone with more experience will chime in, but that's a start for you

Adam
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Q1. Yes this is normal. The top clamp has two positions.

Q2. Not sure based on your description. Maybe loose steering head bearings as noted above.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Cool, glad about the ability to move the bars forward, as it feels too rearward for me where it's at now (used to KTM ergos).

If the clunk is from loose steering bearings, is this because the steering nut is loose, or the bearings are worn? If it is worn bearings, is this difficult or expensive to fix? I do all my own bike work, but I've never messed with headset bearings. Do they need to be pressed out with a special tool?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM

FYI, I called my local suspension guy (John Curea at MX-Tech) and he said that it sounds like the forks are low on fluid, probably from leaking seals. He said he has a KTM in his shop right now that was doing the same thing. The forks did feel rather bouncy when I test rode it, so he's probably right on.

The other thing about this bike is it may need to have the silencer repacked. It's an FMF TurbineCore. Is this hard to do on this type of muffler? I've repacked a conventional FMF muffler in the past (with the screen spark arrestor), and it wasn't too bad.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

It's really easy to repack the silensor. I use the Moose cartidge and is as easy as pulling it apart, remove the old one, clean it and slide the new one on.

If it is the bearing it may be just in need of tightening, however if it has been that way a while and ridden the bearings may be shot.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Make sure the front wheel is installed properly. If not properly put back together after a front wheel removal, you can have space between the spacer and fork leg which will cause the wheel to slide back and forth on the axle. Strange, but true, I've done it. It makes a clunk sound when compresssing the fork.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Make sure the front wheel is installed properly. If not properly put back together after a front wheel removal, you can have space between the spacer and fork leg which will cause the wheel to slide back and forth on the axle. Strange, but true, I've done it. It makes a clunk sound when compresssing the fork.
The clunk is during the rebound, at the top of the stroke. There is no clunk during compression, nor did I feel any stiction.