Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 AM

I have access to a local oil retailer that offers ethanol free gasoline to be used in powersports equipment, lawn, boat etc.

It may not be a total solution for your cars as he is not allowed to let you fill the tank but you can bring and fill as many cans as you want to.

Check around for some of your local small oil dealers. 0% ethanol gasoline!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Yes but in Brasil you make ethanol from grass and sugar cane that is dirt cheap, plentiful, and more eaisly processed. The corn ethanol scam here is just that, a scam. The only way the numbers work out in a positive manner like Berkyboy noted in an early post is if the mash byproduct is sold back to farmers for feed. What you are not told is this example that is presented is only applicable to a few plants, the vast majority spending more energy and $$ to produce a gallon of ethanol from our major food source than is returned. Ethanol and all of these other "green" alternatives are not economically viable on a large scale, and must be artificially propped up by the govt at our expense to appease special interests and even appear to be competitive. There is nothing truely "green" at all about Li Ion battery and solar cell mfg/ processing on a large scale.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Alcohol plants also burn sugar cane bagasse to make electrical energy. Brasil can sell alcohol to others countrys. Strategically it?s not good to EUA because only one country in the world have conditions to do this.
Brasil!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM

This isn't my quote that I'm attaching, it is from a local forum in my area. I used a water bottle like you would pick up at convenience store to pour some gas to get a car started. The bottle had about 1/2 teaspoon of water left in the bottom that I shook out first but it was still full of condensation droplets. I ended up not using about 1 cup of gasoline and left it in the bottle. The next weekend there was at least a couple tablespoons of water separated in the bottom of the bottle. I haven't googled "phase separation" but it sounds interesting.

There is a way to remove it though, its pretty easy- just google "phase seperation" all one does is put 4 gallons of E-10 fuel into a clear 5 gallon container- add one gallon water. shake like crazy. let sit, turn jug upside down and drain the water. The ethonal drains with the water then buy briggs and stratton part number 100023 for $5 to test it after your done. I get pure 92 octane 1990 quality fuel every time.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
This isn't my quote that I'm attaching, it is from a local forum in my area. I used a water bottle like you would pick up at convenience store to pour some gas to get a car started. The bottle had about 1/2 teaspoon of water left in the bottom that I shook out first but it was still full of condensation droplets. I ended up not using about 1 cup of gasoline and left it in the bottle. The next weekend there was at least a couple tablespoons of water separated in the bottom of the bottle. I haven't googled "phase separation" but it sounds interesting.

There is a way to remove it though, its pretty easy- just google "phase seperation" all one does is put 4 gallons of E-10 fuel into a clear 5 gallon container- add one gallon water. shake like crazy. let sit, turn jug upside down and drain the water. The ethonal drains with the water then buy briggs and stratton part number 100023 for $5 to test it after your done. I get pure 92 octane 1990 quality fuel every time.
Kind of makes sense, That is the way I always understood 'Heat' to work, attracted the water.
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 PM

My point:
1- When you have the engine set up to the fuel what you use. You don t have problems.
2- Now you guys are in a transition time. In a few years this issue doesn t bother more.
Brasil!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 PM

If it goes up past 10%, it will bother us, trust me. To make use of ethanol's high octane property and get the most power requires a lot more compression (and a lot more ethanol). Material and oil compatibility as well. This, all in addition to costing us more in taxes for govt subsidies and higher food prices.

A gallon of good old gasoline is hard to beat for energy content.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Administrator

I spent alot of time in the early mid 90s working in brasil... Totally different ballgame there - they don't have the EPA. I remember driving a 1.6 liter VW golf (or something like it) - the thing had balls and would move. No emission controls, no catalytic converters, etc....

jeff