Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Default adding oil to Shivers....

Guys, I apologize for the dumb questions. My right fork "weeped" a little and did for a long time. Does not "leak" but is moist. So I use a "Seal Mate" and clean the gunk out and now it's not "weeping". I doubt it has leaked an ounce of oil total but I know it has "weeped" some. So, the question is.....if I want to add 1/2 ounce just to feel better can I just take the top cap off and pour it in?

See, I told you it was a stupid question and I apologize but I know nothing about this type of fork.

I realize I'll have to replace the seals but now it's dry and I just want to put a "little" oil back in whether it matters or needs it.

The bike handles as good as I can drive it ........that's not an issue....knowing it weeped some is, it bothers me

Thanks!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Last edited by houndog; 04-13-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Its not worth your time and effort to pull the fork, crack the cap, put a little oil in it and put it back together. The minimal different a few cc's of fluid will make is neglible.

What the forks really need are probably to be pulled down entirely, base valve removed and cleaned, bushings replaced, and then fresh fluid. Then they will love you.

You like to run a higher ratio of oil in your engine for better life and performance, but you don't want to show the forks the same love?

This is what accumulates at the bottom of forks that haven't been serviced. Yum!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Was thinking and hope my post didn't come across too blunt. Don't stress a little fluid loss. There are bigger things to worry about in the bigger picture!

If you do however want to top them up, assuming they are the 45mm Open cartridge shivers, there is no issue opening the cap and adding a little more fluid. I'd actually take both forks off and measure the fluid level/air gap too. But then you kind of come around back to if you're going to bother you should do it right.

So! Maybe.. the real dodgy way would be to remove the air bleed scew and use a syringe and put a few cc in that way!~ If you were that way inclined.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Hey Jakobi, your post was not blunt at all and what I was looking for. You are 100% right about me and oil . I'm sure it's time to service the forks but have been hesitant since I don't know anything about them or how to dismantle them (yet),

They are the 45mm Shivers so it is possible to add a few cc's just to make me feel better, eh?

Is there a place to find info on replacing the seals?

Thanks Jakobi. I figured when I hit 10K miles I'd pull the bike apart and grease and replace anything that needed it.....have about 2K to go .

The Ting Ting has been one fantastic bike......I have zero desire to have anything else.....well, except the FSE

Thanks again!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Marzocchi Website

They should help. Other than that it really is just a normal USD fork, not all that different from any other. Should be loads of videos on youtube etc.

Update: the user manual on their website is for the 50mm twin chambers. Contacting them may get you what you need for the USD 45mm OC