Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 AM

Default lower seat for shorter rider

hey all, i am new to gas gas ,i just bought a 2006 ec 250, ive got to say i love this bike it feels so light and nibble , and the suspension is awesome , the only problem I have is I am quite short and would like to lower the bike about an inch but dont want to go down the road of altering steering and suspension geometry . My first thought was to shave some foam of the seat as i have done this before many times on other bikes , the problem is although it look like there is a good three inches of foam on the seat , because of the seat design there just isnt enough foam thickness to play around with.

Does anybody know of anywhere that makes a lower seat for the gas gas i can find them online for the newer models but not for the 2006 or will the later model seat still fit ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas gas newby View Post

Does anybody know of anywhere that makes a lower seat for the gas gas i can find them online for the newer models but not for the 2006 or will the later model seat still fit ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Congratulations on your new ride, and welcome to this forum!
The newer seats does not fit. There was a change in the subframe design between the 06 and 07 models. You can change the subframe to the 07-11 model to fit that generation of seat. But that also implies a change of other things, like plastics and also the air filter box if I remember correctly. There used to be an "upgrade kit" with all the necessary parts, I used that kit on my 06.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Drop the forks down the clamps, lessen off the rear preload.
Give your boots to a old school repairer to bond/screw another sole on bottom.
Little here, little there and a bit more getting used to it should see you through.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM

You can modify the rear suspension link to some degree in most cases.GasGas actually had some different length links between years that would interchange.Maybe the same years too? Does anyone remember?
I remember the early bikes with the flat links were something easily made and modified.

The sag setting is not something you really want to be over compensating with.
If your a putt putt kind a guy. Maybe.(I'd say never)
But you probably wouldn't be riding a GasGas either if you were now would you.
You could revalve the rear shock and play with spring rates to some degree-
But that is a weight issue.I'm not going to assume "short" means light also.Its tricky.

I think if you spend sometime digging through old threads on this site you can find a lot of ideas and information on the subject.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

LTR has the lowering links or I have a used set that I will sell for half of new.

If you use the longer lowering rear dog bone link you will need to raise the fork tubess in the triple clamps to lower the front end (as described) to match and even out the front and rear.

Running lower profile tires with shorter sidewalls will help too. There is a Dunlop Geomax AT81 in a 110/90/18 and there are several front tires in a 90 aspect ratio.

I wonder if you can swap to the older 1998 / 1999 seat and gas tank which the tank does not run under the seat like the bikes after 2000. If so that would give you more foam to work with.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I have already backed off some preload on the rear and raised the forks in the clamps a bit , but as I said I don't want to alter the geometry of the bike too much as I love the feel of it .

I am a light rider ,only 62 kg so maybe i could back off a bit more preload to soften it a bit more
Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Do a sag measurement (plenty of articles on net for full process to reduce stiction effect) and aim for the lower end of the spectrum.
Clearly some softer springs would benefit if you can stretch to that.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)