Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Testing a CDI

Well it's been a while since I've been on the forum.
My 2014 GasGas XC300 quit running at the Zink Ranch NEPG at the end of the last test section back in 2016.
She's been sitting in my garage torn apart ever since (racing a Husky 4T now).

I suspect my CDI. A number of months prior to Zink I was having intermittent spark issues - bending some of the connectors to make a firmer contact seemed to fix the problem and I ran for a good while after that.

I can confirm that I am not getting a spark (I have an inline light that flashes when a spark signal is sent).

I don't know how to test this CDI, and I'm 0 for 3 on the US distributors of the JDRacing Ignition CDI on my bike. Two of them are disconnected numbers and the third guy no longer works with JDRacing.

Would someone on the forum be willing to plug my CDI into their bike (making sure it is compatible of course) and try it out? I would pay for shipping to and from of course. I know this is a PITA request, but I'm at a loss on how to get the old gal running, and don't really want to buy a a new CDI ($400) unless I know for sure that is the problem.

'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63

Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM

I'm starting to feel like the guy that farted in church here.
Is it bad form to try to get someone else to test out my CDI on their bike?
I'm certainly open to suggestions here.

I haven't tested the stator yet - wonder if I should try that?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM

My similar issue did end up being related to the pins / sockets on the cdi connector. Initially.... bending the pins helped, but in the end I had to replace the battery power supply to cdi socket (couldn't source one easily, so I borrowed one of the sockets from the dual ign map connection in the same cdi connector).

I'd gladly try your cdi, but being in canada... im sure the shipping would be killer eh lol. One thing to keep in mind, is that an e start cdi is not compatible with a kicker. On the battery bikes, 12v is supplied to the cdi when the key is on.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Default different CDI for estart vs kick

Thanks for the offer dANBOT - I'll see how much it would cost.

I don't doubt that you are correct on the estart vs kicker CDI, but I cannot reconcile that with my own experience.

I removed the need for a key pretty early on after I bought it. The bike ran fine. Then, I removed all of the estart gear and went to kickstart only.
The bike ran fine for almost a year before it quit on me in Oct. 2016.

If what you are saying is true, should my bike have even run once I got rid of the key and estart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANbOT View Post
My similar issue did end up being related to the pins / sockets on the cdi connector. Initially.... bending the pins helped, but in the end I had to replace the battery power supply to cdi socket (couldn't source one easily, so I borrowed one of the sockets from the dual ign map connection in the same cdi connector).

I'd gladly try your cdi, but being in canada... im sure the shipping would be killer eh lol. One thing to keep in mind, is that an e start cdi is not compatible with a kicker. On the battery bikes, 12v is supplied to the cdi when the key is on.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default options

Did you double check your;
1) kill switch wire to make sure it did not wear through the insulation.
2) ground connection is clean and tight.

If shipping to Canada is expensive, you can send it to me in IL. I can confirm if it starts but since we have a foot of snow on the ground and since I live in a residential area I can not put any miles on it.

I also found a couple on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Gas-XC3...1Z199x&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Gas-EC3...ZaAfth&vxp=mtr
Old 04-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Question for the Experts

Have a no spark/intermittent spark issue that just started on my 2013 XC300E. Bought the bike in the fall from a guy that raced quite a bit and have about 20 hours on it. It's never run right (buttery smooth down low rpm, but almost zero top end). Have checked reeds, PV, repacked muffler, etc. Was just about to start on jetting, but now think it's been a fauilty CDI all along and that the CDI just failed. Funny thing is it has a JD Racing CDI model GG2T in it from the Racing edition (model EE511003013CT) not the Kokusan ME250634007 that came stock. In troubleshooting the electricals last night I found the following:

Charging Coil
White - Yellow 0.75 ohm should be 0.16 ohm
Yellow - Earth 1.75 ohm should be 0.67 ohm
Impulse Coil
Red - Green 106 ohm should be 100 ohm
Exciter
Bl/R - R/W 15.2 ohm should be 12.7
Coil
White/Blue - Earth 0.7 should be .425-.575
White/Blue - Ign 11.1 should be 10.8-16.2

Obviously, the charging coil is out of spec. Lithiom Battery still doing OK though. Do I replace the stator any ways? If so, do I use the KTM 50339004200 or the KTM 54839204000?
Also, I suspect the CDI needs replaced and I see that both of the above linked GasGas CDI's are still on eBay. Will either of them work with mine? Am I missing anything else? Sorry for all of the questions. Just want to get this bike running properly and not break the bank doing it! Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM

The 2013 manual shows wiring similar to the older bikes. The AC powered CDI is charged by the single winding on the stator. The lighting coils have nothing to do with ignition operation and can be ignored. Once the engine runs you can check AC voltage for lighting and DC voltage for charging.

Make sure any component you test is completely disconnected or you will get odd readings. The most likely reason for no spark is a ground problem whereby your ignition key/kill switch/wiring is shorting out the igntion system.

Other than that you're back to the CDI or ignition coil and their related connections.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM

OK I'd try the ignition coil first.
I was having weird problems about 5 years ago and seemed to go away with another old coil I had that looked identical off an RGV250.
Just recently I had some more issues. Bike would die occasionally when opening throttle from closed. But if held open would run fine.
Or would it? Was starting to think my mainjet selection needed work.but it's not like it broke down with misfire like I thought a coils should.
Sometimes it was funny to start. Often fine.

Coil measured fine. Problem got better. Then got worse. This time measuring the ignition coil primary it wandered around all over the place.
Ahha! Well the coil was a billion years old.

Yet to properly test with new coil fitted. Should be a generic 0.3ohm primary cdi coil. Look for an RM single wire one or similar. I had to extend the mounting spacers with longer bolts but 55-57mm mounting holes were fine.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:00 AM

Make sure you're using resistor type HT cap and plug, I've found not doing so is the biggest killer of CDIs
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 AM

I'm keen on the NGK marine blue silicon cap. 5k resistor and not so prone to vibration failure plus better sealed.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)