Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Default A day at the Classics

I know its not GasGas or even two wheels, but i thought you might be interested in my day at the Silverstone Classic last Sunday.

With Silverstone just down the road and knowing my uncle would be there with the team he works for, i thought id head along and take advantage of the spare tickets they nearly always have

What a day! I you ever get chance to see some historic racing, take it. Its always good close racing and the cars just seem so much more raw and alive than modern racers, couple that with how rare and expensive some are, watching them going wheel to wheel really is a sight. ...and they make a great noise!

My uncles team were running the green GT40 and dark green Lola T70. The T70 finished 4th and the Ford had a bit of a 'bump' with another and didnt finish. They were also running a 1930s ERA and Lotus Elite.

Some vids of the the cars are here....not great vids but give an idea of the lovely sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2tsbK2-Qlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eca0FVizvG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iksBvTf6fjU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2355.jpg (98.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2357.jpg (126.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2370.jpg (107.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2374.jpg (113.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2376.jpg (115.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Just a couple more if that's ok mods...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2378.jpg (99.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2379.jpg (81.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2381.jpg (108.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2382.jpg (124.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 AM

It often surprises people that the competition in historic racing is genuine and not just parade laps. Especially when some of the participants are as historic as the cars !

I enjoyed this and this onboard video of US rider Dave Roper doing a practice lap on the Isle of Man TT course on a Matchless.

Plenty of green lanes in the Silverstone area - I'll be happy to show you around if you don't already know them.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Default Nice

Makes you proud doesn't it

All those badass cars that you look at 40/50 years down the line and still think " I'd have one of those"

The pictures look amazing and it seems like you had a nice sunny day down at silverstone.

thanks for posting these ....good to see a proper petrolhead ...like me

My dad asked me to take him to a classic day at donington park back in 2004, we went into the pits and my dad was like a old man reliving his youth,he was telling me all about these old skool cars 'ERA's and we managed to see and hear one being "warmed up" in the pits .......OH MAAANNNN

the noise was awesome real deal fahookin LOUD no silencers just proper old skool racers..the smell of castrol R in the air and some pretty fine young laydeez scantily clad waltzing around really finished off a good afternoon.

nostalgia is everything

Remember graham noyce??
Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 AM

I live a couple of miles from the Silverstone circuit and the Classic is an absolute must attend for me too.

Watching cars that are overpowered, underbraked with fairly primitive suspension being thrashed by drivers who are fighting with them the whole time does it for me every time - especially when some are damn nigh priceless!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 AM

Glad you enjoyed them! I think Tigger has it spot on, overpowered with basic sterring/suspension and some with skinny tyres, makes for lots of sideways action

S.S, no i dont remember Graham Noyce (he won his chamionship 4yrs before i was born ) but have just looked him up and he sounds like he was the Barry Sheene of the MX world On track, man they must have been brave to ride them 500's hard, they look like BEASTS!

C.M, i have been down to the Silverstone area once on the green lanes (lots of gates to get through ) but i dare say there are plenty more that i missed. I will defo take you up on your offer, thanks! I'll send a PM.

Ad