Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 AM

Question is it wrong to-

beat the living hell out of idiots? i sold my first bike to a scrap dealer for 75 when it died, now 3 years later not realizing who i am, is trying to sell it back to me in worse condition for 2300!!! the title is still in my name too!! if i hadnt given him a bill of sale, id call the cops on him right this second. but im thinkin a couple of his teeth would just about make up for it.. it would make me feel better anyway...
why do i always find these people??

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:

Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Just smack him then smile some!!

Current ride 08 WR450F

Previous rides
06 EC 300
98 WR 200
16 year break
84 XL250
81XR75
GT80
Old 06-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Since the title is still in your name, he technically does not "own it". Proof of ownership is the title... not the bill of sale (since a bill of sale can be forged). So you could report it as stolen and get it back.

Or you could report him for tax evasion since he failed to retitle the bike in his name. Upon retitling, he would have had to pay his state the tax on $75 (which isn't much)... but he would now have to be the tax + interest + fine for not retitling the bike 3 yrs ago.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I am not sure that i understand completely that the scrap dealer is in the wrong.

1. You let your bike go for $75? That was your choice.

2. If you signed the title stating that the bike was sold, you waived your ownership rights. Possession of the title WITH the signed release puts the scrap dealer in ownership of the bike. (Possession is 9/10 of the law). The scrap dealer just has to sign that he's the new owner. if he sells it to someone else, the new owner will sign as the owner. Not the intent of the law, but how it works. The scrap dealer saved a title transfer fee. People do this all the time.

3. If he can sell a clapped out bike for $2300, he's done well. At the motorcycle shop, we'd often offer low prices to those wanting to sell the bike. Sometimes, the bike only needed a carb-clean or tune up to be worth much more. So, we'd flip it. Sometimes this worked, sometimes not. If he can sell your bike for $2,300, he's a hero.

4. Is this a bad time to ask advice about riding in Montana? My kids and I usually do a week-long dirt bike trip, and we were thinking of Montana. It would be nice to have someone recommend areas where we could ride. We'd like to camp and just ride out of one or two areas so we don't have to break camp much.

We're thinking Montana, Colorado, or the Hatfield-McCoy deal in West Virginia. If you have some insight into Montana (and aren't too annoyed with my response), we'd sure appreciate it.

thanks.

blitz
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 PM

bitz
im not annoyed at all, you are right. im mad, because at the time of the sale the guy lied to me about every aspect of it, what he was doing with it, what it was worth, where he was going with it. said it was for his personal parts bike, not a resale.the bill of sale is moot anyway, since it wasnt notorized.
there is a lot of riding to be done here, if you take a peek at montanas fwp page, i think the trails are listed still, if not, free maps can be requested by mail.

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Mountain Thumper,

I am glad I didn't annoy you. I didn't understand completely the situation. When i worked at the shop, that was pretty much our SOP. Sorry it didn't work out like you had hoped.

Thanks for the info on Montana. i'll follow that up. If we end up out there, maybe we can ride together (if you don't mind a slow dad and his two daughters).

Thanks again for the info.

blitz