Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Alternative lighting for the 2012?

Has anyone explored alternative lighting options for their 2012?
After getting caught out in the woods way after dark, I have come to accept that the stock headlight is not very good. This comes as no surprise, really.
I had a Trailtech X2 HID on my last bike, and it would light the trail like daylight.
Interested in hearling anyone else's thoughts...

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM

I would try the VisionX LED driving lights. Waterproof, vibration proof, basically bulletproof, unlike the smaller HIDs. Had two on my Ducati Hyper and they were awesome, headlight didn't matter. Very low load, like 10W each for the equivalent of 50W light output. I could even run a couple on my 2K-2. DC, so you will need a recifier and a filter capacitor or battery, but they have their own controller and are not too fussy about voltage.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I would try the VisionX LED driving lights.
I'm considering investing in some of these. Has anyone else got feedback on them ?

My bike (2k3) only has an ignition loom at the moment. I would like a removable lighting set up. Sometimes, I just need the standard head, tail, brake light/horn/speedo as a token gesture for the powers that be. Othertimes, addition of lights that actually illuminate the trail/road would open up a whole new world of riding time.

I noticed that everything I have apart from the standard headlight appears to require DC: horn, led tail/brake light and acewell computer. If the Vision X Solstice lights are a possibility as well, how could I go about setting out my lighting ? Might a small battery be required also ?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM

I've used these on the street. They are tough and would be good for off road, plus they have a very nice waterproof connector system. I would approach the install as modular. Bring in AC and frame ground from the stator, and have a rectifier/filter cap/regulator on the lighting system. The DC side would then float of course but thats fine. You could add a battery but only if you need/want the lights on with the engine off. With a 2K-3 you could run more of these than you could probably afford! I'd make up a custom mounting plate/chassis that contains everything and mounts to the fork, and put a headlight shell over it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...Categories.bok

These LED lights are what I put on my 2011. I have the older triple LED units whereas the latest ones are quadruple LED. The FLOOD pattern is perfect for woods riding. I can go the same speed at night as I go in the day. A bit smaller than the VisionX lights so they will tuck in better. The hard part is finding buddies who will ride at night.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM

Neil,

Those are nice lights at good prices. The price is definately comming down. A flood/spot combo seems like it would be great. You can run most of them on a 2K-2 with a rect/reg. I think night riding where I live would be a blast.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Am I in the right ballpark for wiring LED lights ?

(don't have the first idea how to use drawing software, sorry)

Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Careful with that ground on the output side. I think you should not do that because the stator is already grounded on one side. You should leave the DC floating (no ground on the DC side). You show a 2K3 stator. Does this not already have a stock rectifier (half-wave?) in the system? I doubt that the capacitor is needed, try it first without the capacitor to see how it performs. Some lights have circuitry in them and might tolerate the fluctuation. Safest thing would be to mount a small lithium ion battery and the system would work well (still float the DC side).
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Careful with that ground on the output side. I think you should not do that because the stator is already grounded on one side. You should leave the DC floating (no ground on the DC side). You show a 2K3 stator. Does this not already have a stock rectifier (half-wave?) in the system? I doubt that the capacitor is needed, try it first without the capacitor to see how it performs. Some lights have circuitry in them and might tolerate the fluctuation. Safest thing would be to mount a small lithium ion battery and the system would work well (still float the DC side).
Thanks Neil, knowing only a little about bike electrics, this is turning into a useful learning opportunity.

There is a rectifier in the euro lighting loom, that provides DC for the horn. There is also an AC 'power controller' (similar to a regulator?) that the yellow stator wire plugs into. Would it be worth trying to power an LED light with these stock items, or would ordering a trail tech DC rec/reg be a better bet ?

A look in my parts bin revealed a good condition complete leonelli euro road legal loom, x3 LED brake/tail lights, x2 working acewell computers, various enduro headlights, x2 stock rectifiers, so using some of these items should help keep the budget under control. In fact, I think I could use the complete loom and follow the instructions in John m's sticky at the top of this section.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM

You should be able to rig up something with no trouble. Try and find a Euro wiring diagram that shows the rectifier and a battery. You don't need the trailtech full wave rectifier. The stock half wave rectifier will work fine and allow you to ground both sides of the circuit. My 2011 with the stock rectifier works well and has both sides grounded due the the estart system.