Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Default 2004 GasGas 200 new to site

Hello everyone I am new here and just a little background. I used to race SETRA enduros and was fairly competitive. I did make it to A class but that was in the 80's mostly on KTM's. Marriage and kids pulled me away but have kept up with sport. Now I have a chance to buy my nephews 2004 GASGAS 200 that he bought new. This bike has extremely low hours it still has original chain and sprockets.He did have the suspension serviced once Ohlins front and rear and he put new tires on it.He also added a flywheel weight which I don't know if I like the bike revs slow to me but I have been riding a wore out 2000 yz 125.He just purchased a KTM 450 4 stroke that I think is a mistake. I don't like maintenance on 4 strokes. Can anybody help with setup on this bike.Back in the 80's with dual shocks there was very little setup and I don't want bike if I can't compete. I am 56 and am looking forward to riding again. Oh yeah I think he wants to much he is asking 2000.Oh also I do remember Clay Stuckey on the Kawasaki's he may also remember me. He has always been a class act. Help will be appreciated and I enjoy the site.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 PM

I really like the 200, i have spent time on a 250 and 300, and prefer the 200. I am 50 and have had my 200 since 2001. I think 200 keeps you a little more on your toes, it is not for the layed back rider who like to ride around in the2 or 3rd gear.

As for set up, the cockpit is a little cramped for taller riders. I am 5'11 and wish for a little more room, but being more a stand up rider it really does not bother me that much. I don't use and bar raisers, just GASGAS fat bars, i don't know what the bend are comfortable for me.

I run 13/51 gearing and seems to work we'll for my style. 1st gear is pretty low and having 6 speed you can ring it out .

The motor is solid, just like the bigger brothers 250 and 300. You have more bottom end than a 125 but lacking the big punch of the 250. Which i like as i feel like i can ride it really hard all day long and not feel wore out after a 2 hour hare scramble. I would get the squish mod done and find a oversized power valve cover to help with improving mileage and overall feel of the motor.

You mention Ohlins forks and shock. I have WP forks and the Ohlins shock. Do a search on suspension and you should be able to find what your looking for. I will tell you that GASGAS bikes are know for there handling and turning so you should not be disappointed.

I'd make a offer on the bike and see what you get. Have you rode the bike?

Good luck
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 AM

I paid $1,700 for my 200 last year. I feel I paid a little to much for all the work I put in it...lol. I would think an offer of $1,500 is in reason even if it is in as good of shape as you say. You can always go up if needed.
I'm running 13/51 also.
Mine revs great off the bottom, but I don't have a flywheel weight. Its hard to stall how it is so I didn't see the need.

I opened up the cockpit. I'm 5'9 and a half..lol...I put on IMS lower/back heavy duty pegs and have 1" bar risers with Windham pro taper. That setup feels good to me

Once you have it dialed in it will be a very competitive enduro/HS bike that is about bullet proof and reliable. When the susp. is setup for your liking (Mine is stock WP front O in back) you will be able to ride all day as long as you get yourself in condition. I like my susp. on the soft side so the bike soaks up the brunt of it. Good luck
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for help I offered him 1500 he said he just put new Michelin tires front and rear and just had both the forks and shock serviced
and could not take 1500. I went to 1800 and it is mine now. Yes I have rode the bike several times and felt it handled fine but not enough seat time to get a good feel. I always thought the motor was on the weak side. I will send the head off, take off flywheel weight, replace top end, reeds and water pump. He already has I think a LTR oversize power valve cover. The motor revs to slow to me but I was used to a 199 yz 125 that revs quick. This bike is way more stable at speeds than YZ. Would like to ride this weekend but my anniversary and don't want wife upset. I would like a new motorcycle but with a daughter in school and car payment on a vehicle for her to go back and forth to school I can't justify new bike. Bright side is she has 2 years left.I am shooting for my first enduro in a long time the end of January in Sumter SC.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM

Nice one Art. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also putting my daughter through college and so used was the way 2 go.
Sounds like you have a good plan to bring that 200 into the fun zone, keep us posted.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I finally got the flywheel weight off today. I couldn't believe it but it was a 15 ounce weight. I thought it was reving slow and now I know why. After just 10-15 minutes of riding I don't think it will be going back on. It still rev's slower than my YZ 125 but it is more tractable and rev's a lot quicker than it did. I think it is more what I need. Anyway thanks for help and encouragement.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 PM

fun bike for sure, bought my 04 200 new in 05 it had been sitting on dealer floor for a year, after waiting entirely to long to do it I sent my head and carb to RB Designs and kicked myself for not doing it as soon as i got the bike the mods made the biggest improvement period.
Just started racing again this year in the 50+ class and haven't got up to speed yet (lack of physical conditioning) working on it...
But you will enjoy that bike for sure good luck and have fun