Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:12 AM

Talking Not to tall or to big

Hi guys , I'm 6'4 and over 130Kgs (280lbs roughly) I haven't changed anything on the bike at all . I ride on fire trails and in tight single track stuff , I find the bike perfect as I am very rarely on the seat but in a permenant crouching position

Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 AM

I'm 6' (maybe 6'1) and got some custom clamps made which move the bars 1.5-2" forward and 1.5-2" up as well. I run standard height bars with little sweepback (a lot of sweepback effectively moves the handlebar position backwards) When stood up my position feels perfect my hands are higher and further forward so uphill it's easier to get over the front of the bike - sat down it's easier to get over the front of the bike and downhill the higher bars seem to help again as you are not so low over the front on steep descents.
The only compromise is if I am mostly sat down my shoulders ache after an hour or so as teh bars are too high so i should adjust the height down if mostly sitting.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadfreak View Post
Hi guys , I'm 6'4 and over 130Kgs (280lbs roughly) I haven't changed anything on the bike at all . I ride on fire trails and in tight single track stuff , I find the bike perfect as I am very rarely on the seat but in a permenant crouching position
ditoo im 6'5 200lbs my ec fits like it was built for me the only ergo i changed was the seat height.
the only gripe i have about her is at the end of the day the seat makes your arse feel like you wiped it with a moving steamboat paddle. ive had monkey butt, but not like this!

whats this i hear about legendary seat foam, i think that warrants a pm

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm barely 6' 0" and have bar risers, modified triple clamp so the bars are forward of stock, minimal sweep bars (Trailtech woods bars), and fastway pegs in the low position. Makes a huge improvement compared to how my '01 was stock. Obviously it's user preference but I wasted a lot of time learning to stand before I figured out that I'd be better of with some cockpit changes. If I were 6' 4" I'd probably want the bars even higher. (The footpegs are maybe too low. Definitely scrape the trail more often.)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicksonR66 View Post
We may need a section for taller riders, I'm 6'4 and have trouble getting my right leg up high enough to kick mine over comfortably. If it's cold or I'm on unlevel ground it's easier to get off and kick with my left. Anyone else have the same problem?
You need to kick the start lever backwards and down, instead of just down.

Try it. It really works.

When I originally had the aftermarket seat foams made. I sent Guts Racing a OEM GasGas seat foam for an '01 and had them make a tall foam, as well as an OEM profile seat foam for us, using their medium density foam. It is much better than the OEM GasGas seat foam, which will let you feel the seat base after a 45 minute ride. Guts also made new covers to match the foam, both in the competition cover (which GoFasters sells as their "GasGas" cover) and a plain black gripper cover.

GoFasters is selling the seat foams, and I have special ordered a plain black cover, since I like them better than the competition covers.

You ought to be able to order the foam and cover directly from Guts, if GoFasters doesn't get you what you want.

I'm only 6' tall, but the foam really helps me get off my butt easier, and gives my knees something to grip when I am standing.
You can always lower the pegs by running Fastway Yamaha pegs, which let you move the barrel above or below the pivot in the mount, but I hate to expose my feet to rocks and stumps by lowering them.

I am running a Pro-Tect under the bars steering damper mount, with Hawkins High Bend Pro-Taper bars. http://www.ptenduro.com/
This finally allowed me to stand and ride comfortably.
I will try to attach a photo of them on my '06 DE300. I am still using the oem GasGas throttle cable. No problems, as long as the cable is routed cleanly.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Last edited by Jim Cook; 05-06-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

I am going to try to add a photo or two of my Pro-Tect bar mounts and my seat profile.

When I had Guts make the seat foams for us, I told them to remove the dip, and add about 2" to the part that would be under my butt.

On older bikes ('99 and earlier) a Ceet KX high foam for a '99 KX250 will work with just a small bit of trimming.

Good Riding!

Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/