Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsRider
I ride through nasty rock gardens faster and have more control if I'm standing on the pegs. That doesn't mean I'm always standing though. A lot depends on how rough the terrain is and how tired I am, but if I sit too much I get horrendous monkey butt. I'm usually all over the bike trying to keep from taking a dirt nap. During an enduro I'll go from standing to sitting so much my thighs cramp up on the way home.
What he said.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM

I stand as much as I can. When I sit I tend to put my feet down and with size 13 that nearly always disasterous. But like above not much weight on the seat unless on long straight sections.
I get cramps a fair bit, even when realy fit, but have started to take Magnesium and it appears to help a lot. Did 150km of very techical woods riding last Sunday , mainly standing up all day, and only just a bit of cramp after loading the bike on the truck. One more pill and nothing thereafter. Still buggered though.
Only problem is that on the pill glass bottle it says it good for womens menusturation problems, so you GOT to hide it from your mates.
05 Pampera 250
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan
This sounds like good way to practice...

Jeff..sounds like we need ot head down to your buddies grass field and set up some barrells We can take Noah. He' like riding with some other kids for a change.
That sounds like a great idea... There were some large hay bales out in the field and I was doing barrel racing around them. Fun... Hay bales are gone - so we need to add stakes and ribbon.

For me, it is about conservation of energy, max traction, and optimal center of gravity for both bike and rider. Riding position and technique is varied depending on terrain, speed, etc. to attain this. And I think, given your degree in physics, you will relate well.

Given this....

Smooth 90 degree corner - butt in seat to lower overall center of gravity - standing up is more difficult to balance and increases probably of "high side" if something unexpected happens.

One position not mentioned thus far is "the attack dog" position. When on smooth ground and full accelleration - butt on seat and chin towards bar with elbows out a tad (a slight tuck). This minimizes energy expended - by leaning forward - you let gravity offset accelleration forces on your body - you don't have to hang onto the bar as hard as the bike is accelerating.

I do have trouble when deciding to sit and stick my foot out for better balance on a left hand turn with loose loamly soil, etc... I sometimes can't get my foot back on the shifter fast enough to grab the next gear when exiting the turn.

About 10 years ago, I had the pleasure of riding with Malcolm Smith for a few days. This was in "the trask" here in oregon - tight trail with a few old logging roads in between. He rides standing up in the tight stuff - his legs are really long and he rocks the bike back and forth throught the corners. You can watch "on any sunday" and see this same style. He moves the bike - he doesn't move that far... Smooth and fast. But doesn't look like he is going all that fast - because it looks so effortless.

jeff
Old 07-22-2006, 12:16 PM

"gods" have a way of making the impossible look easy...

Let me know what weekend works for you.

Not today or tomorrow, but next weekend is probably ok. Beyond that, I need to stay close to home. New babay expected around 8/16, and she could be early (probably not...my kid and all )
2016 Africa Twin
1975 Honda CB400 F1 (X2, projects)
2019 RE 650INT
1982 KDX80
2017 KAW EX300
1982 XL500R
2015 HUSKY FE501S
1972 HON CB175
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Magellan,
You may want to try/practice steering with your feet/pegs. This may make things easier in the tighter sections. In addition, the location in which you sit on the seat will make a huge difference in bike control. Watch Rodney Smith as he is a great sit down rider. Grass tracks, watch the Europeans, they have it down to an art.
Dave
Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 AM

I stand alot when racing and trailriding, but like to sit in the corners. One thing that helped me was to ride some bermed corners and get used to turning with those little rut berms that bikes make. A tip with those is to lay the bike down so your tire's contact patch is perpendicular the surface of the rut and sit on the corner of the seat, keeping your upper body perpendicular to the ground. Weight the outside footpeg and keep your inside foot off the ground, just above skimming the surface. Do one corner over and over until you are sick of it. Then ride a loop or lap, you'll be surprised at the improvement.

I'm working on dragging the front brake into and through these types of corners to load the front tire and compress the forks, which steepens the steering angle of the bike. Another A/AA tip I got from the local guys.

I find this alot of fun to do for an exercise, and it really won't work to try to do this standing up, so it should get you more comfortable sitting in the corners.

Also check your bar setup and seat to make sure everything falls comfortably in place while you are riding standing up. I rode 3 days in the Black Hills in May and stood up almost all day chasing AA riders as they tried to kill me with the tough loops near Nemo SD. Thanks Jack Bondus for the invite, BTW! I didn't get tired from standing. Lifting my bike over 12" logs that were 18" off the ground, yes, but standing, no. Sit in most corners and weight that outside peg - go try it!

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 09-02-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Need help learning to sit down!

Great thread. I practice standing and am getting better. I now will start to practice that cornering technique Hawkeye talks about. On the switchbacks, when I can get a foot down, I've been pivoting off it and sliding my rear tire around. Seems to work ok. But I have been noticing alot of those berm ruts. I will give the Hawkeye method a try on some of those. That's if and when my doctor will let me ride again.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 09-03-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Smile

I use this phrase a lot- IT DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO LOOK PRETTY,YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THERE! sit,stand.shake your leg, or whatever seems to work,just get your butt to the other end!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
I use this phrase a lot- IT DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO LOOK PRETTY,YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THERE! sit,stand.shake your leg, or whatever seems to work,just get your butt to the other end!
Works for me!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Just sit. All joking aside, I have always been better standing up. To sit down makes me feel a bit out of control, becuase you are acctually raising the center of gravity on the bike. I would go to a flat area and just ride sitting down.