Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Default Trade my Husky for a GasGas 200?

Also posted on ADVrider.com

So this is the issue. I have a tricked out 04' Husky TC450 with low miles and in great shape. Its has all the sweet bolt on goodies including Recluse clutch, big tank etc. I'm thinking of trading it for a friends 99' Gas Gas EC200 2 stroker with equally trick parts list such as Ohlins front and rear, rekluse etc. I also own a 03' Cannondale E440R. I like rididng the Cannondale more thank the Husky so owning two big 4-strokes that are very much the same is sorta rediculous. I have never owned a 2 stroke and have limited seat time on them. I did ride the GasGas last week for a couple hours and liked it alot. It runs great, carb is tuned very well and handles pretty good. However I didn't get to ride it in any extreme comditions such as gnarly hill climbs or tight technical single track that I normally ride.

I know the Husky is worth more money. Probably about $2,800 and the Gas Gas is about $1,500 so I would get some cash along with the trade that I can use to do a few mods to the Gas Gas such as tripple clamps/damper mounts. And still have some cash in my pocket to put towards my year long ride to South America this year.

I would like to know if this is a good idea? anyone here ever been a die hard 4 stroke guy that switched to a two stroke? Am I going to regret giving away a perfectly good Husky? The Gas Gas is a pretty friendly motor but is still more demanding than the other. Is it going to kill me on long 75+ mile days of single track? I do like the idea of having a bike that is cheap to maintain (no valve adjustments or head rebuilds). When I return from South America after a year of traveling I will be broke and with out a job but still want to ride.

Also is it possible to do a Big Bore kit to the 200.. Maybe a 250 or 300 kit?

What are your thoughts..

Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Site Sponsor

i switched from an 04 te450 to a 2000 gg200.

imho best switch i ever made.

i felt the te450 was heavy and overheated in extreme conditions frequently.. the 200 has none of these problems. i don't even miss the big torque difference. the electric starter on the 04 te450 was problematic (auto-decomp wear) for me. the annoying exhaust backfire also drove me nuts. i put more money into the te450 in a year than i will in 3 years for the gasgas...(04 had titanium valves..) of course the te450 was easy to do valve adjusts on, but not as easy as the gasgas

the gasgas doesn't wear me out like the husky did. with the extra money get your suspension redone (ltr), and a steering dampener..

i would much rather be running the 200 through the tight single track than muscling that beast husky through it......the gasgas is way more user friendly. it'll climb any hill the te450 would, it's all operator error at that point...

you can't big bore the 200. you gotta swap motors. at one time i had considered swapping motors, but i'm happy with my 200...at the end of a race i don't gotta worry about whiskey throttle issues, and fatigue stuff as much as i would with a 250 or 300 i think...

pm me and i can extoll more virtues of the te450 to gg200 switch..

Last edited by stainlesscycle; 03-22-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM

I owned a 'Dale and my bro a TE450. To me its simple, if you like the tight woods where fast handlig, light weight, and the ability to grunt around without overheating the 450s are just too big IMO. For faster more open trails and dual sport type stuff they are great.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM

I'd sell the husky and try and find a newer 200, but then again I don't know the model year changes so 99 may be very similar to a 01 or 02.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

99 should have the conventional forks,be a great bike if its in great shape,I would look for an '05 on up,you can find some great deals on them and they have most of the updates and they really rip,07 on up had the one piece tail section,and color changed to either red and then later on red or a white model
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 AM

If you do get the 99 ec 200 with conventenal forks, I have a set of 03 USD WP forks and clamps for sale. I also have all the front brake parts.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 AM

Default Test ride

Great! Thanks everyone for the info. I took the Gas Gas out to day for a few hours at Hollister Hills. I mostly rode on the Renz property witch is mostly tight medium level single track. The Gas Gas was so much fun. I'm starting to understand the whole two stroke thing.

This one has Ohlins front and rear from a Cannondale so it handles very nicely. Its the Dale S440 suspenders so the springs are a little stiff for my liking. I played with the clickers all day long and got it tuned pretty well. Still stiff though. Maybe I'm just so used to having a bigger heavier and better planted bike. I think a steering damper is mandatory on the Gasser. I have one and will put it on if I buy the Gas Gas. Handling was very good and changes directions is very quick and easy.

Seems like everything else on the bike performed perfect. The engine has very good torque and seems very easy to ride and I was surprised at what a good long powerband it has. Great fun! I was even able to find a couple damp area's with plentiful traction and could really hook up the rear tire and see just how fast it is. Its not even close to the Husky but thats ok. It still pulls very hard and shifts through the gears effortlessly. Also had no boil over unlike the husky. That thing over heats very quickly even when ridding 2nd and 3rd gear trails in hot weather. My Cannondale never did that .

I understand I could probably get one a couple years newer but from what I have gathered from this site is that there weren't any major updates to these bikes for a few years and to buy say a 2005+ I would be spending a lot more money. This one here has a completely new engine with less that a couple hours on it. New clutch, all the bolt on protection stuff you can get. Ohlins suspension, Guts seat, Recluse clutch (not installed) and more. Plus a Whole bunch of spare parts including extra suspension (marzochi's) radiators, and more.

Seems like a good deal to be what do you think?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 AM

Sounds like you are hooked....was that funmachines bike?
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Sounds like a sound deal to me.

I think you'll find a '99 is just fine.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 PM

I'd have to agree with roostafish
sounds pretty good to me.
Plus your getting a little cash on the side too right??