Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 AM

I have seen this exact same failure point on 88-91 KTM's. The upper and lower shock pivot were not directly over eachother (off by 1/4" or so) but the lower pivot was only rotational (not like a Hiem joint). In MX or any other endeavor that would cause the rear to compress almost completely the lower shock mount would take a NASTY side load, leading to it's eventual failure. Fix was to use a lower bearing in the linkage that would allow for axial rotation as well as radial....delrin sleeves worked too.

This isn't a typical GG failure (not like the KTMs) but I'm guessing that some type of upper/lower mount mis-alignment lead to this shock failure. Ohlins USA is great for customer service, I'd send it to them (if in USA) in a heartbeat. Since you're on the other side of the pond I'll bet you could get great service from Ohlins direct....looks like you'll need another rocker and likely links as well.

Look at the swingarm bearings for radial play (allowing the swingarm to move side to side) or a bent mount where the links attach to the frame (causing skewed linkage movement). It'd be good to find the culprit and fix it before getting it back together.