Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well I run my race 50 at 0.5mm & at 14000 it almost grazes the head. If I reuse the double base gaskets too many time it just makes a noise.

But clearly the stroke is much larger on the 300. The other consideration is the MSV, which can be alleviated by taking some squish area out, but it isn't that big so I don't think its a problem & revs low so another lack of concern.

The closer you can run the head & piston the better (obviously without bumping the two together). Any mixture trapped there is lost to the cause, & the further away the less the piston gets the cooling effect of the head.

But lets not get too worried about it. The 300 has stacks of power, just closing the gap up should aid better combustion & thus fuel economy.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
To be honest, the interchangable inserts are a bit of a joke. They all measure the same volume and are just set at varying heights. For example the low compression insert results in a large squish height. The high one a tigher. I would have rather had them with different chamber volumes so you can set the squish around 1.2/1.3mm and then actually select for compression.
that sucks, i was under the impression the volume changed on them. would have been the main reason i was thinking about getting a set...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info F5. Good stuff indeed. I'll discuss it with a few others but I'd say I'll probably aim around 1.2 to keep some clearance and stay on the safe side of things. It seems to be whats accepted around the place from those in the know. It sure sounds like you have some experience yourself in building race bikes! You blokes on the other side of the lake are well smart!

Stainless, the volumes on the S3 actually measure the same as the stock head (or at least it did on the 300 that I cc'd).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Rings and Piston

Crunching some numbers now to determine correct ring end gap. Mostly for reference for myself. Working off the 66.4mm bore and using wiseco's calc bore x .004" top, and x .005" bottom.

Top ring: 0.27mm
Bottom: 0.33mm

As delivered the stock S3 rings measured in with gaps as follows (measured about an inch in the cylinder top, pushed down with the piston)
0.25mm and 0.28mm

The S3 piston is stamped A 66.33 S3 Vertex. Piston to bore clearance will not be measured as I don't have the tools to do so accurately, however dropping the piston into the cylinder it will slide in easily under its own weight. There is no notable play side to side.

Reminder to self, rings are installed with the marked side facing up.

I'll wait for a few opinions before making any adjustments. At this point planning on keeping the 0.28mm ring as the top, and opening the other to 0.33m for the bottom. Does anyone feel these are too tight and should be opened up a bit more?

Piston

Clearance
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Bump for those with engine building experience. How's the ring gaps I've specified sound? Looking for some feedback. Thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 AM

I'm not a rocket scientist but your math is correct and I've never had an issue using the Wiseco specs. Unless you're going to be pushing the maximum on your RPM all the time then I go with those #s. I have (in the pits between motos) installed a new piston & rings and just eyeballed the end gap to be sure there was some with no problems. While the numbers are there for a reason, I've discovered through the years (55 of them) that they are very forgiving in most cases.
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Fred Was pretty sure they were ok. One of those measure twice, cut once things. I don't have the experience to fall back on. This last year has been a steep learning curve, so I feel its better to ask and be sure!

I wish I could ride this thing at max RPM more often!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
. . .
Reminder to self, rings are installed with the marked side facing up.
. .
Yeah & the piston goes the other way up as well, but hey, that's only a suggestion
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

GOLD!

..too lazy to flip the jug for the pic and nothing to hold onto the otherway! Hah!

Ordered myself a C-Clipper today! I feel somewhat sad that the challenge of installing the clips will be no more, yet a little relieved that the stresses of worrying about a clip flying across the room, or worse into the crank cases, has been minimised.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Or poking it into your finger! Do you really not want that experience?