Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Talking New to the group in AZ

Hello everyone. I am new here and very interested in gaining as much knowledge about the GG as possible....specifically the 450 enduro.

I just moved out of a Husaberg 650....found that it was far too much power (never thought I would hear myself say that) for the type of riding I do. That bike was stupid fast.

Anyway I have been researching bikes that I might own next and I have a pretty solid list of the same bikes those of you with 450s were looking at....GG 450, Sherco 4.5i, Husaberg, Husky, ATK.

The biggest problem with having a list like this is you cannot just go to a dealer and look at the bikes. I mean you can go see a Husky and Husaberg in my general area (I have to drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix approx 130 miles) but I don't have a dealer for the GG, Sherco or ATK. There was a GG dealer in Prescott AZ but from my understanding they are no longer a dealer, and the guy in Phoenix that deals with Sherco does not stock bikes.

What I am looking for is any knowledge you can give, specifically problems in specific years of the GG 450 to look for....meaning did 04 have a certain electrical problem? Did the mapping for the FI have problems in 06? Not those questions specifically but any year specific problems. I am looking for used for sure, and I want to have it near to street legal (AZ has very lax rules for plating a bike).

Also if there is anyone in AZ specifically in Phoenix that would be willing to let me take a look at your bike that would be really great, just want to take a peek and throw a leg over it just to see what the bike feels like. I don't need to take up much of your time, just want to see what the bike is like.

Thanks for all your help and time.

Darrin
95 Tiger "Steamer"

Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Welcome to the forum. I haven't ridden the gasgas 450 but the 2strokes are awsome. If I ever do get a 4stroke I'll look first at the gasser. I do not have a dealer very close but these bikes are nearly indestructible and parts are quick and easy to get from Gofasters or Road,Track, and Trail (RTT) up in Minnesota. They are both great people to deal with and will get your order to you in 2-3 days.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have the '05 450. It's great.

As of what I have read on the Internet and of what my friends have experienced here's a few issues.

* '03: Starter gear problems common. Solution: Install '04 starter gears.
* '04: Valve issues: exhaust valve breakdown, expensive head jobs. Solution: Install Kibblewhite Black Diamond DRZ400 valves BEFORE they crash.
* '04: Some starting issues. Solution: Install Manual cam chain tensioner to help starter motor spin up.
* '03-'04: very cold start problems, Solution: Full throttle while crankin.
* '05: kick starter idler gear stub axle breakdown. Solution: Dont use the kick starter, or at least be gentle. I don't know if newer axle fits or if they are stronger.
* '05: crank vent spews oil into air box. Solution: Install extra foam filters in vent hose.
I haven't seen or heard(read)any problems related to '06 and up. Maybe they are bulletproof?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks so much for the responses and info....that is very helpful.

Keep the info comming please. Thanks again.

Darrin
Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM

'06's are fairly bulletproof, they don't like being drowned though lol. My uncle attempted a really deep crossing on his that the rest fo us got through and ended stalled half way across, it was almost up to his handle bars. We dragged out and he got a dink home on a 'Berg 550. It's had a few little problems since but its all come back to being drowned a few months ago. They are a great bike and are well worth it

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Point of Order...

While Darren claims to be "from Arizona" we here in Phoenix consider Flagstaff to be part of Colorado for the most part... maybe California, what with the influence of Northern Arizona University and all.

Just thought I'd help.

Rick
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Welcome, The 450 is a gem of an engine. Australasian Dirtbike Magazine voted it the best engine for 2007 out of all the Enduro 450's.

It's handles really well for a 4 stroke in single track and turns heads like an Exotic should....

Durability is why I purchased mine and the Gasser's have that, not like the other 450's that need regular rebuilds..

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 01-23-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Point of Order...

While Darren claims to be "from Arizona" we here in Phoenix consider Flagstaff to be part of Colorado for the most part... maybe California, what with the influence of Northern Arizona University and all.

Just thought I'd help.

Rick
Actually I am "from Southern Indiana" not from Arizona. And I don't know what all y'all from Phoenix are talkin about but I now live in Flagstaff, whereever the hell it is......

Darrin
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Best guess is southwest Colorado.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Best guess is southwest Colorado.
I shall make a note of that.....now where are my maps to make the corrections.....