Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Fuel injected KTM's...?

So I'm eager to hear some feedback on the fuel injected KTM 2 strokes.

Anyone have any news? Are they good straight out of the box? Are they having any teething problems?

I'm hoping to hear positive feedback as I'm excited about this new technology.

Thanks, Dave.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
So I'm eager to hear some feedback on the fuel injected KTM 2 strokes.

Anyone have any news? Are they good straight out of the box? Are they having any teething problems?

I'm hoping to hear positive feedback as I'm excited about this new technology.

Thanks, Dave.
Can't say I've ridden one so I'll speculate on what little I do know.

I've heard they are smooth smooth motors. The pro's I've spoken with aren't seeing much of an advantage compared to the carb bikes. But one well known KTM/RedBull rider did clarify that they are used to riding perfectly setup carb'd bikes. Whereas us plebeians who don't have a clue how to jet and set up a motor will probably see much bigger gains since it takes all the guesswork out of it for us and just adjusts for our stupidity.

Again I haven't ridden one so this is speculation, but my beef with them is that I can fix most carb problems with a rock and stick out in the field. FI system field repairs?? Fahgetaboutit!!

If the quality of this TPI system is anything like the FI KTM LC4 690 that I do own I'll gladly pass and stick with a carb. That bike has so many fuelling issues I'm honestly and actually shocked if I can ride for a day and not have a problem. The FI system on that sorry excuse of a machine is the #1 reason its up for sale right now. Terrible, horrible experience of a bike for me. Completely lost my faith in KTM after buying that bike.

In my summary, I'd hold off for now. KTM has a bit of a growing reputation of releasing innovations before they clear up all the problems.. Especially as a first year bike I'd stay away. Maybe in three or four years once we know if KTM actually managed to get this right. But even then. I'll stick with my Gasser's. In every way they have been a stellar experience for me. And that will keep me coming back every time I need a new bike.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 AM

I had a quick go on a 250 tpi a few weeks back. Felt instantly at home on it on a sticky rutted green lane. Very light, as in light as a 125 would have been ten years ago. I don't think the owner had even touched the suspension clickers and it was very confidence inspiring to ride (I normally need +1 heavier rear spring). With a counter balancer and fi, the motor was very smooth, although I don't think the fi is perfect. Also deceptively powerful, I couldn't keep up on my fairly well set up 300 on a flat out blast.

Superb bike, probably the best option out there for someone who races a lot, especially if they enjoy tougher enduros. However, not for me, just doesn't float my boat. I'm fighting the temptation go and pick up one of the ex demo 2018 gassers that are around at the moment
Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravan Monster View Post
I'm fighting the temptation go and pick up one of the ex demo 2018 gassers that are around at the moment
Stop fighting it... Just succumb to the pull. Breath in the dark... Enjoy it!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 AM

I am very interested in how they perform for the average rider who isn’t good at jetting a carb. I like the fact that you can ride in +30C temps and -10C temps without worrying about damaging the motor. DirtBikeChannel on YouTube has videos of both the ktm and husky FI bikes. He owns the ktm and has the husky as a loaner for the next couple weeks or months.
I’m going to buy a Lectron this winter so that I don’t have to mess with my jetting. I don’t have time to mess with my jetting. I just want to ride and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Sorry to redirect you to another site but I did a report here on the one I have been riding (TE250i not KTM). I freaking love the bike. The motor is stock except a FMF Gnarly and muffler. It runs fantastic I think it is step forward (other than the complexity)

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/fir...1/#post-635928

Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravan Monster View Post
I'm fighting the temptation go and pick up one of the ex demo 2018 gassers that are around at the moment
I spent three weeks on a 2018 Demo GG300 and it is a fantastic bike as well. Did a quick report on this site.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:27 PM

You rave about the House of Hp suspension, have you tried the Krefeld stuff? I have a friend who wants to get his 17 done and wants input on who to do it.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
You rave about the House of Hp suspension, have you tried the Krefeld stuff? I have a friend who wants to get his 17 done and wants input on who to do it.
I have not tried their stuff. Are you talking about Kreft? http://www.kreftmoto.com I have heard good things. I've also heard they are quite expensive. Is your friend from Canada?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:00 PM

Yes I meant Kreft, silly autocorrect. No he is stateside, but you should join us sometime to visit my Canadian buddy that also has a 17!