Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Default No longer just lurking!

I've been lurking on this site for a few years now and have had several bikes during that time but have mostly been riding modded KDX220's and KTM200's.

My brother has been a KDX guy as well, so we were looking for bikes that were true woods bikes in a more updated form than the KDX's. This led us to Gasgas since every interview, review and thread I have found praised the bikes as amazing motors in the woods, reliable and loaded with the best of everything.

We happen to find a pair of '03 EC250's that were somewhat local and picked them up on Friday.

They have the Ohlins suspension, LTR covers, Scotts stabilizers, all of the off-road guards, etc., etc.

They are nicely equipped bikes, just dirty and could use some cleaning and a once over.

Just wondering if there was anything in particular to that year to be aware of or watch out for?

Also was wondering were to look for plastic kits to replace old plastics? Will other years fit the '03 or is that year specific.

The bikes will be torn down, cleaned and gone through this winter and I cant wait to get mine out this Spring to try it out!

BTW, just wondering if others have come off of KDX's or KTM200's and what the comparison would be?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Welcome to the family and enjoy the site. As for plastic, just do a search and you'll find what yor looking for. Many owners have up-graded to newer plastic so there is a ton of info on that subject.

Sounds like you guys picked up some nice bikes!

As for what to look out for, again, just look though the many threads, you'll find it!

Not trying to be an a$$, by not answering your question, but the search function is a great tool, and you'll be able to find a lot on info that way.

Again....welcome and enjoy!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM

I have a set of 03 shrouds with graphics in excellent shape and a brand new polisport front fender that's still in the bag.
All in red - $80 plus shipping. I can send you pics if interested.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Look out for KTM owners babble!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I think you will find your transition from a KDX will be seamless. It's just more of a good thing. I once read in a magazine test that the Gas Gas felt like a 7/8 scale motorcycle. A KDX is like a 3/4 scale motorcycle, so there ya go. The transition from a KTM 200 will be a little diffferent. The KTM is not near as planted, feels lighter, and zippier. The Gas Gas will go where it's pointed, and make better power than either one of those. Maybe not more power, but better power. Depending on the year of your Katoom, the rear suspension will be a welcome change too. The KDX suspension doesn't come close either, but you probably knew that.

Bottom line, Gas Gas is the next logical choice for a KDX lover. I was disappointed when Kaw dropped them. An upgraded KDX would have been a great bike for yet another 10 years. Can you imagine a KDX with updated boingers and an electric start? What a dream.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

All of the reviews, articles and threads we read pointed to a the gasgas being a true woods bike. I love the linear power delivery of a modded KDX220 motor, and it sounds like the gasgas is right along those lines, just better. I was never really comfortable on the KTM200 because it did not have a linear powerband, even with all of the suggested mods, and it was to twitchy and deflected in the tight stuff.

I cant wait to get the bike out and hit the woods.

We also wanted reliable bikes coming off of the KDX's.

As far as plastics, I had read some conflicting threads about the '03 and '04's being not compatible with the other years. I was just trying to figure out if I were to order new plastics, if I would need to find '03 plastic specifically, or if other years would fit?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yes,two more on the dark side!
I also came from a KDX to 02 EC 300.Biggest change was to not worry about how deep the rut is & stop looking for an alternative for my front wheel.A hang over from numerous over the bar incidence from those crazy low trailing forks!(or was that just my riding style).Corners come up real fast & it was then I realised just how good a KDX corners.The gasser is good but the KDX turns on a dime,whatever a dime is? Way better brakes on the gasser as well.
Oh yeah.....KTM guys look at you funny.
Have Fun.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

I put 03 shrouds on my 01 bike and they fit perfectly. In 04 or 05 the tank and seat changed a little but I think the shrouds were unchanged until 07. The side plates and rear fender from 01 to 06 should all fit your bike but the 01 and 02 side plates will have a more rounded shape.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Site Sponsor

2000 through 2010 all shrouds should be interchangeable.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

THe only thing lacking on my GG 300 when coming off my 200 was using a different needle, the CCK, and some fork work. Nothing else.
Serious fork work.
Talk to Bruce's Suspension in N. Carolina in the East, or DIck's Suspension, or Les at LTR in Washington, for work out West.
My Dicks suspension ($$$) with his removing most of the mid stroke damping with his "APS" mod, will let the bike float over washboard and mid sized rocks.

Jeff's 2 cents.