Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Fastway Steering damper

Here's my review on the Fastway Steering damper on my 2011 250 Six Days.

In the past, I have never ridden without a steering damper. When I sold my 2007 Gas Gas I decided to leave the Scotts damper on it to sweeten the deal for the buyer.

I have ridden my '011 bike for several months and never really missed the damper.
I knew in the back of my mind I need one for "divine intervention". There will be a big hit where I know it will save my a$$.

What I noticed was that I was not fighting the damper resistance that the Scotts had. So my search began for a damper that has "0" resistance while in riding at slow speeds.

I decided on the Fastway damper due to the ability to adjust out any low speed damping.
It has 5 rider selectable adjustments on it.

High Speed - Optimal resistance only during high force impacts, while allowing no resistance during normal riding conditions.
Low Speed - Allows you to dial in the overall steering resistance under any riding condition. This adjustment can be turned to an off position where you will have no resistance.
Return to Center - Allows you to fine tune the resistance of your handlebars from left lock position and right lock position back to the center position.
Turning Angle - Left and right dis-engagement angles to allow adjustable resistance while turning.
Turning Angle Damping - Adjusts the amount of resistance in the dis-engaged portion of the turning angle.

To start with I adjusted the return to center and the low speed to "0" resistance.
Here in Texas, were are in a severe drought. So the trails are very dusty with lots of deep powder sand. The bike was a little sketchy in the deep sand, so I turned the red knob 2 turns in. This allowed the bike to track straight in the sand. The deep sandy whoops were easier to ride in, the landings on the back sides of the whoops were also straight with no knifing around.

The turning angle adjustment was a nice suprise. On the long sandy berms the bike held its line.
As I spend more time with the damper, I'll update my review.

The Fastway damper uses ALL Scotts mounting hardware. They don't have a mounting kit for Gas Gas'. So I had to purchase a Scotts kit for my bike.
http://www.promotobillet.com/
Here's the damper on my bike.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Five adjustments with two knobs? That's a pretty good trick.

Thanks for the review!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

The return to center,turning angle and turning damping are adjusted with screw adjusters on the main body.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
The return to center,turning angle and turning damping are adjusted with screw adjusters on the main body.
The ones on the sides and front of the top piece? Cool.
It looks like they maybe take a flat head screwdriver?

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
What I noticed was that I was not fighting the damper resistance that the Scotts had. So my search began for a damper that has "0" resistance while in riding at slow speeds.
Nothing against the Fastway, looks like a great product, but I believe the Ohlins/Scotts can be set up that way. In fact, I think I have mine pretty close to "0" on the low-speed. I don't notice any resistance, even when switching from a bike that doesn't have a damper.
From the Scotts site:
"...turning is generally a low speed movement. If you don't like the feeling the stabilizer provides in turns or while flying a SX jump, you can adjust it out."
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Looks nice and a a good option, better thought out with the high speed ckt like the Scotts than the GPR, IMO. On the Scotts I only use the low speed when riding in sand at med to higher speed, otherwise its dialed out to min. I added the big knob so its easy to adjust fast when going from tight trail to a sand road in a south Jersey run. I added a half turn of high speed sensitivity. I'm going to need a new unit, my Scotts is almost 14 years old! Most of the internal anodizing is gone and it fouls the oil quick, and needs thicker ol to make up for wear. Still saves my butt often enough though.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

i believe you can adjust out the low speed on the scotts.
thats how i run mine.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM

the fastway dampener is a rebadged Elka System 5....so if you have any questions, Elka can answer anything and everything about this piece. If it helps, Elka makes very good suspension products as well as system 3 and system 5 dampeners.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM

great write up.. i'm looking into one of these to replace my scott's..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone