Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Default Fastway FIT version 2 handguards

Flawless fit and finish, my bars are renthal twinwall factory, trimmed 1/2 inch each end. I have inserts in the bar ends and do not use the compression type clamps. Directions state to "tweak" the bend as necessary, I merely used the inserts to pull the guards in the half inch or so needed, everything pulled in very nice. The handlebar clamp fit perfectly with no modification. The slots where the mount fits to the upper clamp is compressed in to its narrowest point but I can with certainty state that without tweaking the bend the bars would fit a standard 31 inch to what I roughly measured out as 34 inches. My bars are an even 30 inches. I know some who run 28 inches and am confident they would tweak in nicely although some patience may be required to get the angles right.

Cables and such are super clean with plenty of clearance all around. I fiddled a bit and the front brake line fits nice top or bottom of the guard, I rerouted after playing to the top as under fork compression it leads to a nice loop with no contact, which most people will see will likely be 99% of use. I will put a small wear contact sleeve where the line rests on top of the r/h guard at for full extension. I will also state, I was so surprised at the lightness of these handguards I took one of my moose guards off another bike, didn't weigh them on a postal scale or such, but my son and I both were surprised at how light these were in comparison. Not sure what the moose are, but thickness and such all seem very comparable. Everyone drops their bike on occasion, I will update this post if/when I put it down hard on the bars and update on how fixed they are and their ability to hold up. Compared to the coverage of my moose guards, room around the controls, and coverage if you lay the bike down on it's "3rd" point of contact is extremely comparable between to two, and in that regard I can attest that at least that angle of coverage has withstood some stunningly brutal bangs, whacks and extended slides. I have no opinion on the roost guards as I've never had a set, they to fit nicely, seem well built of "of substance" Many years back I had a nasty wet run of a hare scramble and made some duct tape versions for my moose to keep the mud off my grips, they did well in that regards so we'll see if these flex enough to take some nasty hits without shattering/cracking.

I will also add, for those who know no better, as myself did not...the 2011 ISDE at least has another option to move the bars forward approx 1/2 inch, very impressive. I have not rode but around the yard a bit, but that small amount really opened up the cockpit a fair amount, especially in a high stand where previous I really felt weak in that a moderate throttle twist I just didn't feel secure as my arms were so "vertical" in relationship to my body I had no real holding power .

Finally I used this opportunity to remove the crossbar on the twinwalls. I have read multiple places elsewhere that this was a nice way to flex the bars a bit more, while those people have stated no adverse effects with overall strength. Perhaps I will notice no difference? who knows. If I see anything worth commenting on during my next outing I will pass it along.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM

how about some pictures???
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM

I'd agree that they're a nice fit but... The Fastway guards aren't very strong, and the bar end inserts are awful. After a good tip over they are pretty much toast. I've run them on a couple of my bikes, and they just aren't worth having. I've since come up with a combo that works better for me... Acerbis bark busters, G2 threaded bar end inserts, and Bonz mounts. It's not perfect, but what is?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 PM

Bonz mounts make things a lot easier, but have been known to bend and break too as they are like swiss cheese with all the holes. I run them, but use brass bolts to attach the guard as a weak link, so I don't break the mount. The Fastway guards are very long, so more prone to flex and bending.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Got some pics, think they are uploaded right. Currently cutting away at my center pad to fit nicely, it is taking longer than the actual install....No answers to the crash rating yet. Comfort level is high, couldn't upload all the pics so not sure of which ones went. I took one pic of my moose guards on the yamaha, they come in on the sides at an angle, would actually wear my glove on the pinky finger from it, never thought about it until I tried these fastway, alot more room around the controls for what seems the same basic size. Still waiting on my seat to come back from Fisher so I've only been popping around the yard.

on pic 3 you can see the brake line laying on the mount. Hunting around a bit looking for some plastic sheathing like goes down fork run as a wear block. short term i'll just pop of zips and a small piece of half cut pvc pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4546_800x600.jpg (60.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4547_800x600.jpg (72.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4548_800x600.jpg (74.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4549_800x600.jpg (77.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4550_450x600.jpg (35.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 AM

pic of the moose guard clearance on the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4551_800x600.jpg (38.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM

I'd love to see a photo their Scotts underbar system mounted. The pics on the website of the package don't give much information.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 AM

First big hit, what in the world possesed me to buy a dirt bike with 50hp is beyond me at times.......

I looped it out pulling the front wheel, maybe 30mph? was holding it a bit, but below the pivot center so I kept into the throttle holding it up till I was going to be past the damn obstacle....not sure if I actually hit the powervalve kicking over, or the terrain caused me to twist the throttle and nail it just below the hit, but regardless it looped out on me in a freakin microsecond.

Regardless, the fastway held up very well, rest of the bike....soso! it did roll the right hand guard down hard, the brake master rolled nicely on the teflon tape, I twisted it all back, snugged all the bolts back in and other than the shattered roost guard ( didn't think they would last to long) all is well up top. The exhaust had the snot beat out of it, packed it so full of dirt it took minutes with a stick to dig it open enough to even get the bike running, the subframe mounts bent badly, crunched to top of the muffler badly. I torched it all up with a rosebud and it seems to have bent back out to a useable fashion with only a small crack in the back welded tab for the muffler, I'll keep an eye on it to see if I even need to weld it.

Bottom line....pleased with the guards and the durability, not so much with my ability at holding a power wheelie :-) debating possibly a lower throttle cam tube but I'll give a few more weeks of running and see if I can get settled in.