Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 AM

Default Silencer/Pipe Tight Fit Solution?

I bought my 04 ec200 used with a FMF Fatty pipe(discontinued for the 200) on it and did the 2011 conversion. I bought a 2011 FMF silencer(Q stealth) to fit the new alloy subframe silencer mounting bracket as the old one doesn't line up.

-The new silencer seems to line up with the subframe mounting, but the fit seems off by a millimeter or so It slips on only 1/4th or 1/3 of the way.
-The smallest automotive tailpipe expanders (1 1/8") are literally the same diameter and are millimeters too big to slide in and do the job.
-Muffler shops don't have equipment for 1 1/8th tube/pipe expansion.
-The old silencer looks like a Turbincore or Powercore.

It really looks like the silencer needs to be bigger by 1-2 millimeters or the pipe needs to be taken down slightly. I've already tried dremeling slightly but I'm cautious of taking off material. Any suggestions on parts or methods? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I bought my 04 ec200 used with a FMF Fatty pipe(discontinued for the 200) on it and did the 2011 conversion. I bought a 2011 FMF silencer(Q stealth) to fit the new alloy subframe silencer mounting bracket as the old one doesn't line up.

-The new silencer seems to line up with the subframe mounting, but the fit seems off by a millimeter or so It slips on only 1/4th or 1/3 of the way.
-The smallest automotive tailpipe expanders (1 1/8") are literally the same diameter and are millimeters too big to slide in and do the job.
-Muffler shops don't have equipment for 1 1/8th tube/pipe expansion.
-The old silencer looks like a Turbincore or Powercore.

It really looks like the silencer needs to be bigger by 1-2 millimeters or the pipe needs to be taken down slightly. I've already tried dremeling slightly but I'm cautious of taking off material. Any suggestions on parts or methods? Thanks for any help.
I'm afraid this does not answer your question, but this is how I did it:

I have a 2006 200 with a 2005 FMF Gnarly, 2006 OEM silencer and 2011 transformation kit. I moved the silencer sideways to make it line up with the Gnarly and the new subframe.
I put the rear mounting point on the silencer on the opposite side of the subframe (the outside). Then I measured the distance at the front mounting point and made an aluminum part with some threaded holes to make everything fit together.

Has been like that for a couple of months, no problem so far.
I might take a photo and post it here if someone wants to see it.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 AM

If you have access to a tig or last resort mig welder, cut the slip fits off of both silencers and weld the other one on. Keep in mind the stealth takes up a lot of space and needs to fit perfect to avoid tire rub against it with a larger tire. Good luck with the project!
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 PM

A photo of the bracket would be great. Thanks for the info on how you did your 2011 conversion.

Thanks for the welding idea. If expanding/reducing the pipe or silencer is not feasible, swapping that portion of the silencer is a good idea that I haven't thought of before.

FMF still makes a Gnarly pipe for my year of bike and I wonder if the 2011 Q Stealth(250/300 model) will fit on it without the fitment issues that the discontinued Fatty pipe has.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Banned

Just finished this conversion on my wifes 97'. My old silencer fit just fine, it was maybe off by less than 1/4 in. And as you can see in the pic the lower mount had a space that I just used a 3/4 inch anti-vibration mount.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 09-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
Just finished this conversion on my wifes 97'. My old silencer fit just fine, it was maybe off by less than 1/4 in. And as you can see in the pic the lower mount had a space that I just used a 1/2 inch anti-vibration mount.

You forgot to add the picture of the completed bike
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknudsen View Post
You forgot to add the picture of the completed bike
Not til the graphics come in. It looks a little "ratty" without them, but I did use all black for the plastic conversion. Soon as I get those graphics mounted I will post some pics.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
A photo of the bracket would be great. Thanks for the info on how you did your 2011 conversion.
Here they are:

The silencer is somewhat more to the right than before. I doubt if the big Q-Stealth could be mounted like this without hitting the plastic.

Here you see the front mount aluminium adaptor.

The complete bike (incuding KYB conversion)

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Thanks and BTW, where do you get your rear light/plate holder piece?

Thanks for the replies and photos of your guys' solutions. I ended up hammering something as a punch to barely enlarge the silencer end(and a torch to get the damn thing back out ). It worked beautifully as only 1-2mm was needed.

By the way, where do you guys get your cool minimal rear fender portion that includes the tail light and plate holder? My kit came with the giant monstrosity that extends well below the bottom of the license plate(as shown in the catalog photo side shot). I know there are pieces for Japanese bikes and KTMs, but it'd but nice to get something that mounts to the 2011 subframe instead of punching holes in existing plastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monstrocity.jpg (49.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 Gas Gas 300 TailLight.jpg (21.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and photos of your guys' solutions. I ended up hammering something as a punch to barely enlarge the silencer end(and a torch to get the damn thing back out ). It worked beautifully as only 1-2mm was needed.

By the way, where do you guys get your cool minimal rear fender portion that includes the tail light and plate holder? My kit came with the giant monstrosity that extends well below the bottom of the license plate(as shown in the catalog photo side shot). I know there are pieces for Japanese bikes and KTMs, but it'd but nice to get something that mounts to the 2011 subframe instead of punching holes in existing plastic.
On mine, I just cut right along the indent line in the plastic of the monstrosity fender.
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
15' TW200