Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:24 PM

Default Can't select neutral/Shift cam question.

Hi all,
Iv done a bottom end rebuild on myEc250 and can't find neutral... Going through all gears fine but no natural. What I want to know is there a right way the shift cam has to be reinstalled? I read that I need to turn it 180???? Can you adjust the shift cam without splitting the engine? 😭 Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The shift drum is not timed correctly.
The case will have to be split to reset.

When you split the case, leave everything on the right side and shift through the gears.
You'll see where the issue is.

Look in this manual.
Has the shift drum orientation.
Next time, take lots of pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i93vw77r9k...anual.pdf?dl=0
Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM

Not necessarily, make sure the star on the end of the shift drum is sitting on its locating dowel correctly. You should always cycle through the box to make sure all your gears are selecting properly before assembling the rest of the motor too.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:04 AM

Much appreciated boys, I'll split tha engine today. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Not necessarily, make sure the star on the end of the shift drum is sitting on its locating dowel correctly. You should always cycle through the box to make sure all your gears are selecting properly before assembling the rest of the motor too.
Indeed. I think if you have all the 6 speeds in the correct sequence, the error may likely be in the selector mechanism. I would check there before splitting the cases again.

I assembled my engine yesterday. Picture below. My box is placed in neutral. The star at the end of the shift drum is locked by the spring-loaded roller. In the neutral position, one of the peaks of the star faces the roller (arrow). Perhaps your spring-loaded "locator" does not lock it when in neutral?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-20-2021, 03:00 AM

My apologies Anders, ignore my post. I was remembering one off the two piece shift drums. I have had a few motors apart in my life!

If you pull the clutch cover so you motor appears like the above photo. You can remove the shift shaft entirely and turn the shift drum with a Allen key to check whether the gearbox is assembled correctly. If all is good refit the shift shaft and check.

If not you may have inadvertently flipped a gear which is now not allowing neutral to be selected. If you do need to split it make sure the shift forks are in their correct location. Also make sure the little gasket piece above the hole for the reed cage stays put now it is cut free.