Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:09 PM

OP said that he hears the noise when revving the bike on stand, so likely not chain slap. A video would likely help determine the root cause.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:53 AM

I will do a video next week. I think that the knocking could be beacause of the N1EF needle. I want to try other jetting. i read a lot of posts but don't know were to go. Here in my area(Portugal) we don't have to much elevation, is about 0-500m and i have all types of terrain, woods, deep sand and fast open roads. I see some riders using: pilot 42, NECW #3, main 175, AS 1.5 could be the right one for me?
Old 03-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
OP said that he hears the noise when revving the bike on stand, so likely not chain slap. A video would likely help determine the root cause.
I hope you can hear the knock on 00:06 and 00:17 until the end... Thks in advance
https://youtu.be/6JaEs8JFaeI
Old 03-23-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Check the flywheel nut. Mine was loctited but was not done up tight against the flywheel. There was also a recall on the right hand crank nut.
Failing that you may have too much compression and need some head modifications. Mine was knocking under load slightly no matter how it was jetted. The head was machined to lower the squish and drop as much compression as possible. Smooth predictable power now with next to no spooge.
This knock could bem the flywheel nut? Thanks
https://youtu.be/6JaEs8JFaeI
Old 03-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quite possibly, but after looking at your video I would be fixing all the bits that are flapping around first...
Old 03-23-2021, 01:55 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Loose motor mounts? As was said, lot's of flappy parts.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Every GasGas that I've owned has that noise.
Same here. 4 bikes two 18's and two 19's they all had it. Made me crazy but now living with it.

I think it is pipe bang, most of the time it appears when going steady and slowly or inadvertently close the throttle just a tiny bit. Bang! Sounds like a hard knock and comes from the cylinder outlet area.

I tried this for hours and it also appears when going downhill with closed throttle or just after the throttle has been closed. I first thought that pieces of branches or stones hit the bike on its plastic bash plate but it appeared always on the same spot of a 15 minute lap.

In the meantime I can live with it, but I can remember that I was really pissed off when I first heard it and was unable to find it though I spent hours and hours....
Old 03-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Same here. 4 bikes two 18's and two 19's they all had it. Made me crazy but now living with it.

I think it is pipe bang, most of the time it appears when going steady and slowly or inadvertently close the throttle just a tiny bit. Bang! Sounds like a hard knock and comes from the cylinder outlet area.

I tried this for hours and it also appears when going downhill with closed throttle or just after the throttle has been closed. I first thought that pieces of branches or stones hit the bike on its plastic bash plate but it appeared always on the same spot of a 15 minute lap.

In the meantime I can live with it, but I can remember that I was really pissed off when I first heard it and was unable to find it though I spent hours and hours....
Certainly get it at under this scenario.. What I have found will reduce it is running your idle as low as possible.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:36 PM

Did you resolve it?
I had a knock on certain revs, 18 bike also, riding bike in slow terrain, so no overreving, 65hrs total engine, with new piston 2 hrs.
Well, knock suddenly increased at some slow descent and stalled the bike.
Didnt try to start it, had it vanned home.
Dismantled, saw some scoring on cylinder wall, which just yesterday went away with honing.
Culprit, so it seems, but have yet to make me a crankcase puller, is the main bearing failure.

May I also say, that I lowered the needle by 1 on N2ZJ, and reduced the pilot 45 to 42 prior to ride, since plug was black from previous ride.

When returned, it was quite whitish, and vent was coming on much too soon during the ride.

So leaner condition and failing bearing kind of coexisted and lead overheating and destruction.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5valve View Post
Did you resolve it?
I had a knock on certain revs, 18 bike also, riding bike in slow terrain, so no overreving, 65hrs total engine, with new piston 2 hrs.
Well, knock suddenly increased at some slow descent and stalled the bike.
Didnt try to start it, had it vanned home.
Dismantled, saw some scoring on cylinder wall, which just yesterday went away with honing.
Culprit, so it seems, but have yet to make me a crankcase puller, is the main bearing failure.

May I also say, that I lowered the needle by 1 on N2ZJ, and reduced the pilot 45 to 42 prior to ride, since plug was black from previous ride.

When returned, it was quite whitish, and vent was coming on much too soon during the ride.

So leaner condition and failing bearing kind of coexisted and lead overheating and destruction.
No i didn't. I will try to reduce squish, don't know how yet. Maybe trying a S3 Power head or something like that