Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Default 50mm WP forks on 01XC?

Would I only need clamps and forks from a 99, or would I also need the front wheel from the 99?

Anyone remember if the rake/trail was the same with the conventional WPs, and also fork length? I tried this with an 02 KTM 520 exc, and it was alot harder than it looked. The KTMs used 50mm WPs until 99, then went to WP USDs, so I thought it would be an easy swap. Nope. The 50mm clamps had a substantially different offset, the forks were either longer or shorter, don't remember, and the front wheel used different spacers. I think I also couldn't use my front brake caliper from the 02, or maybe it was the disc. Maybe both.

Hopefully GG made it easier? If this an easy swap on my XC I want to do it.

I have forks and front wheel from an 04 CRF 250, (Showa), on my GG now. I have never liked the WP USD forks. They have too much stiction and are unpredictable. And fork seals blow often. I was constantly cleaning seals on my 02 KTM, sometimes both forks, and before each ride I was trying to get them to reseal.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You can do it. You will need the triple clamps, but they are the same. The WP 50 is a good choice. My second Gasser had those. They work very well.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM

You don't like the Showas? I would think that they can be made to work very well, but yes for pure hell at low speed conventionals work good.

If you really want to do this probably the easiest way is to have shims made for your stock clamps, caliper adapter, and axel. This is assuming KTM forks which you are more likely to find. I have no idea what the offsets are offhand.

A better choice might be conventional twin chamaber Showas from a '96? RM250. A friend of mine has been doing this to every new KTM he has had for years now. He recently just switched to a set of KYB SSS and is quite happy.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 AM

Yes, I love the Showas, and they are valved perfectly for me for woods use. The stock CRF-X valving works for me

I have a blown motored CRF 250X which I'll eventually fix, and the Showas came off of it. I made the Showas work on the GG, but the WPs won't work on the Honda. I had to use the whole front fork/axel/brake/wheel from the Honda, so when I get it running I'll need to swap the front end back to the Honda.

You are correct about the Yamaha SSS forks. They are fairly easy to swap onto the GG and they work great with a good woods valve job. A recent article in MX Action said the Kayabe SSS forks are the best designed fork in MX, easiest to tune and had the best adjustability when stock.