Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Question Knobby Knife?

Anyone use one? Tires are getting too expensive, especially with kids riding now.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Ive had good luck with mine. Pays for itself quick. Need to plug it in and let it get to full temp though. Doesnt work good unless you do that.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM

My neighbor bought me one because I'm always working on his trails for him. It works pretty good. Takes a little practice and patience if you want your tire to look nice when your done. You can even use it for some funky cut patterns like the endurocross guys do.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Sounds good, think I'll get one soon. I've used a disc grinder (smokey and messy) and a hacksaw sharpened into a long razor on a grinder(easy to ruin tire). Neither result was pretty.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM

I use a cheaper version
a chisel like this
http://www.yagma.de/media/images/popup/22000023021.jpg
and a flame
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM

These work well. The first one they sent me would not get hot enough to work properly but their customer service is great - one quick call and another tool was on its way with a free knobby knife tee shirt and I didn't even have to return the first tool.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Well worth the money, can keep the edges sharp for one more ride. At most you can cut a tire twice. Does take a little practice.
03 H-D Nightrain
www.newoodsriders.com
You Can't Out Run Death Forever
But You Can Make the BASTARD Work For It!
Enjoy Life, Have Fun and Play Hard
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Sounds good, think I'll get one soon. I've used a disc grinder (smokey and messy) and a hacksaw sharpened into a long razor on a grinder(easy to ruin tire). Neither result was pretty.
back when I rode trials I used to use a razor blade to square up the edges and even siped the knobs before the manufacturers started selling them that way. That sucked (serious finger cramps). But it worked

My riding buddy has a hot knife. Works well.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Just saw this. Couple weeks ago ran into the local "kid" (fast as Hell) racer. He looked at my tire and said "you need a "knobby knife" (may not have used that exact name). I had no idea....he explained it was an electric hot knife, really sharp to "repair" a worn tire. He pointed to his rear tire.....damn thing looked "new" except with really short knobs. Knobs had sharp edges and groves very deep. He said it takes practice and is time consuming but worth it. He said it allows him to use his "practice" bike" tires a lot longer. This kid is good and fast and not rich. I trust him and planned on getting one....the 450 sort of eats tires. I'd like to keep the knobs sharp for as long as possible.

I meant to find out more about them, (price, vendor, etc.) but forgot until I saw this thread. Heading to "google" now..................

Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You should find easy + you tube demos.

I find I sharpen mine every so often just a few rubs on sandpaper. Some tyres are easier than others, but it extends the life & means you can ride on sharper edges toward the end of tyre life.