Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Default New rim...DID vs Excel

Ok my bike needs a new rear rim. The one that's on now is the original 10 year old DID rim that has been outstanding (97 250 KTM) Most bikes now seem to use the Excel rims but I know the Gassers use DID Dirt Star rims.

How do you all like the DID rims on your bikes? Would you replace with the same or go with something different?

DID sure doesn't promote like Excel but I think are also OEM on Honda's and I know they use them on their Baja bikes.

Thanks,

Skidad in MA

Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM

All DIDs are not the same. The newer ones are lighter for sure, not sure about strength but I havn't bent or dinged one yet. The strongest DIDs were the shoulderless Dirt Stars that my '03 EC250 came with, but they were heavier.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I agree. The "U" DID Dirt Stars are as tough as nails.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM

The folks on the orange site kicked this around a while back. The general consensus was DID's Dirt Star is the way to go.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Well after finding almost nothing on the net I talked to the US DID chain importer who used to be the rim importer also. Turns out I guess DID rims are no longer imported into the US unless through an OEM. There are rims out there kicking around still but virtually no good info. He also mentioned some patent issue they had but didn't want to expand on that. They are tossing around the idea of trying to market the rims again in the US but only that so far.

I then phoned up East Coast Wheels in NJ and had a nice talk with a guy named Jeff. Went over various rim choices including DID, Excel and Sun. Said he had a DID in my size but told me about a new really strong new Excel rim about to be released after the Indy trade show a few weeks from now. (not the A60 which is only available in black and 19" rear) I think he called it a Z75 and it will be available in 18" and various colors. I guess it's been tested in Europe for a bit now and ready for release. Comes with a breakage guarantee as well. So I think I will wait and try one of these new rims from Excel and be a guinea pig otherwise I would have gone with the DID.

Thought I would just pass on this info and will update when I have more to report.

Skidad in MA
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 PM

The new DID dirt stars are crap. The Old DID U shaped rims are heavier but much stronger. I put a big dent in both the front and back rims on my 2007 gasser in the first 15 hours of riding. Never had even a small dent in my 99 and 2001 gassers. The old wheel off my 01 is now on my 07 and there it will stay even if it doesn't match the front. I tried to switch the front out too but the bearings and axle are apparently different. In case you're wondering I don't weigh 300 pounds (only 227) and I'm not a fast rider. - Ken
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
The new DID dirt stars are crap. .... I put a big dent in both the front and back rims on my 2007 gasser in the first 15 hours of riding. ...
Interesting - I just posted about my (new to me) EC 300 that arrived with a dented rim: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=2179&p=13214

They're Excel Dirt-start as well. Of course I have no idea how big the rider was or what hit the rim to dent it...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 AM

A good friend of mine has an '07 EC300 and he dented the front rim on it, he fixed it up in a vice and its been good. I think he put excels on it recently but im not sure

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Thats where some of the weight savings comes from. Not just a GG problem. Everyone screams for light weight and something has to give. Strength/Cost/Weight, pick two.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Well I guess I must have the old style DID rims on my 97 KTM. Those things have taken a beating in the New Enland rocks and have been awesome. The rear is kind of delaminating (peeling thick slivers of something) on the inside which I've covered with duct tape as a stop gap measure to keep the tube away from it. Worked so far but it's time to replace it.

When did DID change to the current style of Dirt Star rims? I can still get the older OEM DID rim through KTM (I think) but it's still $175 after a 15% discount.

Curious to know who they had the patent issue with

Skidad in MA