Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

what was the total for your fork revalve at ltr? like all said and done, no springs, how much did it actually turn out to be? shipping and revalve service, without fork seals. im still sitting on the fence on this one, because i have 300 bucks, and i need a new set of boots. girlfriends dad has a set of boots that he got cheap and doesnt like the way they fit, but i do, and hed sell them for 75 bucks. so my budget is 225 with a little swing either way. can i do it, or would i be better off just doing the seals and waiting till i become a better rider before i get the valving done.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM

It was right around $300 but that was including the rear shock service/revalve also. I supplied the springs. Call Les, he is very easy to talk to and will give you a lot of good advice. I was initially just going to respring my components (I'm close to 300lbs) and he explained why to wait for the revalve and do it all at the same time. He may tell you to just have the leaky seal replaced for now if you can't afford to do the rear (revalve) at the same time.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM

talked to him yesterday. i think the total service would be 210 plus shipping and small parts. i dont think ill need springs, but if i do then i would just have him do the seals and wait and do it all at once. the big thing is going to be shipping. thats really the determining factor for all of this. that and necessity, because do i honestly need to have the valving done when ive only been riding for half of a season?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM

You have an 03 EC250 according to your sig

Probably a good indicator if the fork springs have been changed for stiffer ones is to look at the Ohlins rear shock spring. Find the #'s on it and let us know. Stock is a 5.2 I believe. There will be other #'s as well but 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 etc is what you are looking for. I would "assume" if one end is resprung you can be fairly sure the other one was as well. Your bike will work like crap for you if it's been resprung (and possibly revalved) for a 200lb rider. If you have a 5.4 spring or higher IMO that's to stiff for your weight/ability. It WILL make your learning curve far more difficult, frustrating and possibly dangerous. Best thing you can spend money on is suspension that's setup for YOU.

Really since you have no known service history of the forks just changing the seals is a quick bandaid solution. Everything should come apart, inspected, cleaned and parts replaced as needed (which I assume Les would do in his service). Also those 2003 WP forks I believe have that infamous 3rd bushing that many people and tuners remove to get rid of stiction issues.

Recently I sent my forks and shock all together out to Les from MA. FedEx ground and insured for $1000 it was $42. Just the forks from MN should be a good bit less I would think.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM

is that shipping both ways or just one way?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 PM

is that shipping both ways or just one way?
and as far as the spring, im not sure what it is, i havnt had time to look, but when i did the sag, with me on it the sag was like 105mm, and under the bikes own weight it was around the 50mm mark. im not sure what that means in terms of springs, but i was given 35ish mm for the static sag, so that is way off. i sit on my girlfriends bike and the suspension squishes evenly throughout the stroke, whereas mine when i sit it sags some, then comes to an abrupt halt, and takes significant force to squish more. kindof like it gets harder about a third of the way through the stroke, especially the forks. thats the main reason i was considering the revalve. my only problem is that i have 300 bucks, and i need a new pair of boots. the boots are going to be 75 bucks, so im working with 225 ish, with a little wiggle room with my regular pay check. so i dont know what to do, and price of shipping is the major deciding factor here. so if its 42 total for shipping then fantastic, if its really 84 for shipping, then its a problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Buy the boots, take your forks off the bike and take them to a local shop and get the seals replaced.shops around here do it for $80.

A re valve is shale we say A FRIGING LUXURY I have been riding my hole life on stock suspension.Springs are worth the money $200 at most.

Just my .02

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM

its off to gofasters. theres nobody here that knows what to do with WP forks. and gofasters is closest.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
A re valve is shale we say A FRIGING LUXURY I have been riding my hole life on stock suspension.
Sir, you are correct

And at 45yrs old I figured It was time I tried it.

It is certainly more suited to those who use their bike to the fullest. My stock suspension was sooo nice on trail rides. It's much stiffer now and not as plush going slow but those "close calls" (steep drop-offs and hidden ditches) when riding fast have made it worth every penny.

If Dank's bike has been revalved for a heavier (and faster) rider then it must be beating him to death.

Still not an easy decision for Dank. I would probably go with the boots and get what I could afford next. Safety first

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM

it was dylan debels bike. its set up for 180lb aggressive rider. thats were i have the hitch. if it was stock it would be ok, a little stiff but ok, but its whatever dylan had it as. nobody who bought it after him did anything but play with clickers. but im just going to have the seals done, because i do not have the money to do the forks and the shock, and from what im told they should both be done at the same time otherwise they wont match.