Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM

hey huskydude,

i was wondering the same thing, i got rid of my crf450x last year and switched to the 300 and wonder how its gonna do with the studs. every year i put the rear trelleborg on i cant believe how heavy it is combined with the stud hook up im curious to see the characteristics of the new 300 and how it handles the ice and snow.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM

I just scored another wheel so I can leave studs mounted. After XMas I'll try and grab a set, finish my service, and try it. It will at least open up spring early instead of waiting for ice out.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM

ya thats why i started the aftermarket wheel fitment thread a few months back because i hate changing trelles every year. has to be the hardest stiffest sidewall in the history of tires. i think youll have a blast, every year im so much sharper in the spring because winter riding helps my balance and cardio sooo much.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
i hate changing trelles every year. has to be the hardest stiffest sidewall in the history of tires.
2X on that. The front is harder than the rear, it seems. The worst part is trying to get the valve stem through. I bought a stem fishing tool but haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
It would be interesting to see if the 144 would work good in the snow. I remember having my 510 studded up last year and I was thankful for the extra Hp in the deep stuff.
My XC 300 is studded up but I haven't been out yet. It's warming up and maybe over Christmas

Happy Holidays everyone.

I'm wondering the same thing ... but norm and joe chod and a number of other guys claim to ride all winter just fine on their 125's. I'd be on hard packed sled trails and the single track we ride gets groomed up by the riding. Generally if people are riding around here it is on hard frozen snow. the kind of stuff you stay on top of ...
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM

i had a buddy of mine show me a trick he uses on his trelles and it seemed to work good, he gets the first half on,and then uses one tyre iron on the bottom to pry the bead out and either kneals on it or jams it into the tire stand(what i do) then stuff the tire in and use 2 tire irons to pry up on each side of the stem.then you can get your hand right in there. it worked slick for me,before then i would get so frustrated id be chucking my irons lol
Old 12-24-2010, 01:11 PM

just get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/TIRE-TAMER-SUP.../dp/B002KR3AQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apI1hsyP5Zs
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 PM

im just throwing it out there but that thing on an 18" rear trelle would snap. not the main part but the welded on arm, unless the arm was 2 feet long for leverage and the welded on spoon didnt bend. its super easy with regular spoons once your shown how to do it. i struggled for the last 3 years and now its pretty easy
Old 12-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

You guys are nuts!
I'm glad I live in the south where snow blowers and spiked tires are unheard of!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM

After doing Tubliss mounts lately and seeing how fast it is, I'm going to do all tires that way from now on.

The rocky hills I must climb here are half ice from re-frozen run off, like an off camber glacier in spots. Thought about riding last week so I took the dog for a hike to check it out, no way on just rubber! If only the lake I live on allowed motorized toys, the ice is 8" thick already.

Clay,

You guys are lucky for the most part but you do get those freak ice storms. Hell, when I was in Houston two years ago in Dec it snowed!