Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Default Gas Mileage

At the national enduro this week I ran out of gas twice. After going to reserve and kicking 10 times the bike finished the section's but on fumes. My f-250 got better gas mileage. After 25+ miles at the end of the day there was about 1 inch of fuel in the tank. I will check the float bowl level today. What kind of mileage are you guys getting on your 2011 250s? Other then that and a front brake lever coming loose with 5 miles left of one section (I had to keep pressure on it to keep it from falling off) the bike ran great. This is the first bike I have had in a long time that the suspension has not been sent out on yet. My last bike had ttx front and rear. The forks will probably go out for the mid valve mod. The gas thing has me concerned. I dont really want a big tank.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Banned

Mike,
There were three Gassers on my row and we all made it with no problems. Last fall at the last National Enduro in IN I had a small piece of plastic that came out of the tank and lodged in the carb, causing the float to stick. Of course, gas was pouring out of the vents and I could only go 20 miles before going on reserve. Check that and your float level, too.
Clay
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM

I went 37 miles on a tank in Sumter and had about a litre left in the tank. I was on reserve that day.

I would check the float as well. 25 miles is way off the norm.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM

I know something isn't right. I will look at it today. What should it be at? Is it in the manual? I haven't looked yet
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 AM

I ran out 1/4 mile past the last check at Sumter (~32 miles total). I had fuel leaking from the gas cap. I have since tried 2 different vent tubes (one with an additional check valve and one very long tube bent up to prevent leakage). Neither of these worked and I was still losing fuel throught the vent at Sandlapper. I have checked my gasket in the cap about 5 times now and everything looks ok. I hear a check ball rattling around in the cap and it sounds like it has a lot of area to move around in - not sure if it should be doing that.

I have heard several other people on this forum and at the races having this issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM

There is a check ball in the cap, and you should be able to test it by pulling air through the vent and tilting the cap. Maybe something like plastic debri or mold flashing is blocking the ball from sealing. Pull the rubber seal out, and pop off the bottom inside off the cap (with three small holes). You should be able to see whats going on from there.

I had the opposite problem where the rubber gasket swelled and blocked the vent holes, starving the bike for fuel. I cut the center of the gasket away from the vent holes and enlarged the holes, no more problems. Same thing happened to Fred Hoess once, and talking to his mechanic, they also found the ball sticking closed. They replaced it with a smaller ball, but I did not see the need. Keep your eye on this though.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm wondering if any of you know how to check/adjust your float level on this new Air striker 2 carb that comes on the 2011 bikes.
The entire float assembly is now plastic and the bowl is a different depth than the previous models carbs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've been concerned about the fuel mileage also as I also want to run the stock tank. I have a range of nearly 60 miles trail pace and close to 50 flat out in the desert on my older 300s, but I was able to adjust float hight. I'm not sure what this 11's range is yet but would like to optimize range if possible.

Thanks,
Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Default milage

I was getting bad mileage as well when I first got mine. I talked with a guy who has rode them for the last ten years and gets about 50 miles to the tank. I didn't believe it until we set the float and jetted mine and now I am close to 50 miles per tank. I was at the sandlapper with my 300 and made it to the c rider cut off on one tank that was around 42-45 miles. Check the float level first. I am running a needle out of a yz 250 or a KTM n3eh needle in the second position with a 170 main and 38 pilot. Great mileage
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 PM

on a '10 you have the older air stryker carb. 45 miles in a sand race is good and what I get as well. Question here is how to set float level on the ASII carb.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Yeah, what he said.