Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Looking to buy 2010 ec300

hi everybody,
Just looking to buy a used 2010 ec300 and would like to know some feedback first. Here's my concern
How hard is it to get parts in Canada?
Reliability?
Resale value?
With all the rumors that I'm reading online about gasgas I think I'm hesitating in buying due to what will happen next for gasgas.
All input will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Availability of parts is a non-issue, at least in Southern Ontario. I get all my OEM and service parts from Lang's Offroad. You can get everything on the internet these days, but I find it easier and cost competetive just to call Rob - the Lang in Lang's Offroad. I'm always amazed by the variety of parts he keeps in stock. If he doesn't have it, he gets it within a couple of days. Ships most orders for $10.

Reliabilty has also not been an issue for me. Other than sourcing better upper and lower pipe anti-vibe mounts (Yamaha and Suzuki parts respectively), all that I've had to fix are wear items or stuff I've crash damaged. I did have the suspension revalved and resprung.

Resale is probably not the best out there, but if you're buying a 2010 model that is to your advantage. If you ride it for another 5 years, it will be worth as much as any other 10 year old dirt bike ... which is not much.

I wouldn't let the corporate re-structuring in Spain put you off. Hopefully that gets sorted soon and GG can focus on making motorcycles.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Some wear parts like brakes and sprockets are available at Canada's Motorcycle. Lang's prices are just as good or better.

As for reliability I've had my 2006 ec 300 for a year and a half and 55 hours of ride time. Maybe I'm lucky but in that time I've had zero issues or broken parts. I'm a trail rider not a racer. I have no regrets buying the bike and would buy another. They have their quirks but once set up are solid. A 2010 has some nice improvements since the 2005 and 2006 models. I ride with 2 others that own orange bikes slightly newer than mine. They are capable bikes but not trouble free by any means.

Resale value works in your favor of course when your buying. I agree with JP4 any bike of 2010 vintage is not going to be worth a whole lot going forward.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 PM

What are you guys like and dislike about this bike?
Power delivery similar to the 300pumpkin?
What about the Sachs suspension (not sure I spelled that one right)
Bike in sight is really clean, new top end and I could pick it up for about 3500$.
Hard to compare with other gasgas as I haven't found any others in my area but all the ktm 300 are a good 1500$ to 2000$ more in my area. Really tempted to go ahead with this bike.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Power delivery is similar to the Katoom but is a little smoother. They real difference is in they way they handle. The gasser is much more stable and planted.

I don't have much input on the Sachs because mine has marzocchi

$3500 is a pretty good price.

In the end you will be happy with the bike. The only negative is resale value. Everything else about the gasser is awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Likes: The bike handles well, turns and holds a line, without being twitchy in the fast stuff. Reliable. I like owning a boutique brand.

Dislikes: A little funky to jet. More than a little funky to work on, but once you get all the odd-ball sized wrenches and figure it out, it's not so bad. The newer bikes are reported to be better in terms of fasteners and fit and finish.

Power delivery: The GG builds power slowly and lugs down to nothing. Not prone to stalling. The Orange brand bikes (KTM and Berg) that I've ridden seem to spool up quicker and hit harder. Not sure if that was jetting or lighter flywheel, or combination of both

Sachs Suspension: I won't touch the forks again, since I half mangled one of the rebound clickers in the fork cap. I'm not the first guy to have done that. Parts for the fork, other than seals and bushings which can be sourced from a KYB fork, are non-existent. Lang re-habed my rebound clicker to working order, and now I leave all fork maintenance to him. With the revavlve and respring the fork works as good as any other open chamber unit. Stock, the fork needs a revalve, unless you like a super harsh mid-stroke spike. In stock trim the shock was ok, but undersprung for me. With the revavle and respring I have no complaints. I never notice the rear do anything, so for me, that means it's working well. Really happy with my shock set-up.

I bought the bike brand new, without knowing much about GG. I was looking to purchase a 300cc 2-t for XC and enduro racing, and the price was right, so I jumped. No regrets, and I would buy another one.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 PM

Keep in mind this a 2006.

I like the long and low feeling of my bike. It is both stable and quick turning. I'm 5' 10 and the bike fits me perfect. My buddies ktm's are tall and for me in tight trails feel funky.

A 2006 and 2009 Ktm 300 will pull away from me in a drag race. They are stronger and harder hitting. Gas Gas 300's are slower revving but don't stall. Deceptively fast. I love the power delivery of the Gasser. When you are on a sloppy, rooty ,rocky trail or tired out the GG power works.

$3,500 is pretty good for that bike in Canada. If it has handguards / skidplate and setup up close for your weight and ability I'd say really good.

My 300 is heavier then a ktm 300. I Only notice that when dead lifting I don't feel it when the bike is moving. The Gas Gas makes up for it in turning ability. I had to clean up my wiring quite a bit because Canadian bikes come wired for signals and such. Maybe that stopped by 2010. My 2006 uses a lot of different sizes for fasteners,you get use to it. Can't comment on Sachs. I've got Marzocchi forks and Ohlins shock.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I liked my 2010.Great usable power when jetted with a NEDJ needle 180 main(sealevel).Stand is rubbish.Seat is a little softer than a brick.The Sachs forks & shock need to have work done to be reasonable,get the correct spring rate.Even with fork work done I preferred the 2010 KTM white power forks.It was never great on fast choppy stuff,the shock would kick you in the arse occasionally.But really great on slower technical rides & cornered fantastic.I Always struggled when the track was fast but when conditions turned to crap you would not want to be on anything else.
Resale-it's a GasGas,it has none.But at that price it wouldn't lose too much if you look after it.
Reliability- Motor is super strong,low maintenance.
Parts-No problem.Heaps of cross overs with other brands(alot of CR250).I did have trouble replacing the sexy red fork tube that I dented(dick).
Best looking Gasgas ever IMHO.