Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Do any of you ride with a Leatt brace?

If so, which one? Does it affect your riding? Are there many guys wearing them at the ISDE, local scambles and enduros? What are they wearing?

I did some work for a fellow a couple weeks ago who was just riding along with his buddies and now he's a quad...this scares the sh*t out of me.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I think they are a good idea. I've seen some guys wear them, even ridden with guys who have them but it never really interested me. The cheapo ones have interested me because the seem less cumbersome. I'd really like to know as well.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM

I've been riding with a Leatt brace (club model) for over 2 years now. It's a little cumbersome in super technical terrain and when working on the bike with the helmet on, but otherwise it's no big deal. I like the peace of mind since it lowers the risk for neck injuries (IMHO). I highly recommend it and wish more people wore them.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 AM

I have a Leatt GPX Glub. It is annoying when you are not riding but when on the bike I don't notice it.

I always thought that my neck had more range of movement than the gap between my helmet and body armour. So I could not damage my neck. But everyone I ride and race with seem to have them so I bought one.

Talking to a medic, he said a neck brace will stop a neck/spine compression when you land on the top of your head. And it also reduces any whiplash effect of landing on your face and your legs coming over your head.

I guess you can't be too safe!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 AM

When I find one that will fit my short neck and be able to wear my pack, I will get one. Hopefully the industry will keep improving on the ergonomics.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I was looking through old videos of Danny Magoo Chandler who just passed away this last week at Age 50. The crash where he was paralyzed from the 1985 french supercross were pretty shocking to me. He wasn't going all that fast.

The race had actually ended and he was crossing the finish line. He did a little jump showoff for a photographer - pancaking his bike he pulled it back to almost straight to land and then went off the track to his left. In an interview he said that the photographers flash temporarily blinded him. Hit a haybale and went over the bars - landed head first and rolled forward. Seemed really slow.

I can only imagine what his career would have been like if this wouldn't have happened. He was known as not the best rider - but definitely the fastest of his era - when he was "on" and didn't crash - he would simply walk away from the field.

Paralyzed at age 25 in a slow speed get off. He advocated the user of "neck rolls" e.g. leatt brace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCq4R...1&feature=fvwp

Here is a video of highlights of him winning the 1982 "superbikers" competition - what was to become supermoto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEyWgyQOKg

Jeff
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Jeff, do U think a neck brace would have stood up to those forces?
Btw, thanks for posting that info about Magoo. I was able to watch a few more of him while I was at it. Man that guy was exciting to watch! Sad story. I hope he was able to get that Van.Thanks, Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 05-11-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 AM

I have been consistently wearing a Leatt adventure while trail riding (which has nearly the same range of adjustment as the Leatt sport.)

I have not had any header crashes so I can't vouch for its effectiveness. However, it clearly restricts the range of head motion.

The downsides are...

- It interfered with my Adams apple when sliding back - until I carved out the plastic underneath the padding in the throat area.

- The brace prevents me from looking up high when riding in the standing up attack position.

- It prevents me from looking down when working on the motorcycle unless I lean forward.

- It retains more body heat - not good in warm weather, good in cold weather.

In spite of the downsides I still wear it. Aside from my head, my neck is the last thing I want to break.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Eric, do U where a backpack with a water bladder? I've been reading about all the different brands, and the Omega looked like it would be cooler in hot weather, and more comfortable. But one or two of the guys in a review mentioned it doesn't fit well with a backpack. So just wondering if your Leatt would.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM

I wear a rubber neck roll that football players use. I doubt it's as effective as a Leatt, but I hardly notice that it's there and it was inexpensive. I'd like to try a Leatt some day.