Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp4banger View Post
Not sure, but think the spacer between the motor and the reed cage may only be on the 300?
My XC came without the spacer, my kids EC came with. Both 250's. As far as the 300's I'm not sure if they were delivered both ways or not.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM

The VForce made a significant difference in low/mid performance on my '03 250. You will need the GG manifold as well as the VForce. Also, you should polish the intake where the upper and lower outboard reeds can make contact. This is easiest with the top end removed. Reed life will suffer if they contact the rough casting. I spoke to a Moto Tassinari engineer, and the reed petal can move as much as 9mm without restriction. The clearance in the '03 cases was approx 5mm on my bike, so you can assume contact.

Ditch the spacer on all but the 300s. '04 250s had them, but IMO they flatten the power.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 AM

Thanks can anyone post a pic of the reed cage on their 200?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM

It does seem a bit odd. From the parts listing the 200, 250 and 300 all use the same reed block and that would be the V Force on the newer bikes like your 2010. All the V Force reed blocks are clearly marked on the side so you would know if it was. Looking at the parts list it looks like you have the 1 piece 125cc reed block where the V Force is a multi part block. The 300's are supposed to have the extra spacer but GG QC really seems lacking. Some 250's with spacers some without (maybe some 300's the same) and then some newer bikes coming with either 36 or 38mm carbs. Kind of crazy. Sure your bike is a 200 and not a 125 LOL???.

There are some other members here with newer 200's so they need to get some pics posted for you or at least check to see if they have the V Force or not.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Not QC on this one, '04 at least saw 250s with factory reed spacers. Also, back in the very old days, then importer GGNA sometimes converted bikes across displacements (250/300) to satisfy an order if neccessary.

Is this 200 a Euro bike? That is for sure a RAD valve or a copy of one(integrated reed block and manifold).
Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Not QC on this one, '04 at least saw 250s with factory reed spacers. Also, back in the very old days, then importer GGNA sometimes converted bikes across displacements (250/300) to satisfy an order if neccessary.

Is this 200 a Euro bike? That is for sure a RAD valve or a copy of one(integrated reed block and manifold).
My GG history pales to yours Glen LOL. Only been around a few years now with GG but their has been some funky sheet at times with these bikes. Now you want to talk old KTM's or Pentons I'm much better.

His bike is a Euro bike and I think he lives in Ireland or England??
Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Well I guess anything is possible. Last RAD was in '04, so I doubt the factory found a box of them to use up in '10. Even before that, the WEC guys were doing VForce conversions. Perhaps the importer swapped it. It would be interesting to find out.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

That is for sure missing the V-force cage..."but why" is the Question.
contact the rep or dealer to see what's up.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Hate to ask but it does have reeds in it correct? I ask because my intake looks suspiciously like the one on yours only it has a spacer and v-force reed block after. Doubt it would work like that but strange...

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The VForce made a significant difference in low/mid performance on my '03 250. You will need the GG manifold as well as the VForce. Also, you should polish the intake where the upper and lower outboard reeds can make contact. This is easiest with the top end removed. Reed life will suffer if they contact the rough casting. I spoke to a Moto Tassinari engineer, and the reed petal can move as much as 9mm without restriction. The clearance in the '03 cases was approx 5mm on my bike, so you can assume contact.
Glenn,

I'm wanting to make sure I do the right thing here, regarding polishing the intake port for VF reeds (on an '05 DE 300.) The post below seems to indicate that polishing is "bad" - but I'm assuming we're not talking about doing a lot of polishing in the intake area, only where the reeds make contact, right? And, since I've never done it - what do you use to polish things up, how is this accomplished?

Thanks, Jeff

Originally Posted by Brian VT
I've never messed with porting/polishing, but I'm under the impression that a rough intake is fine or even desirable ? I think the exhaust is better when smooth ?
Thats correct. You want the intakes to have some texture to help create some turbulance to keep the fuel suspended in the air (I think thats the theory). The polish is for the exhaust to stop the spooge and carbon build up which essentially reduces the port size over time.

In saying this though there are definate gains to be made by cleaning up and large rough areas caused while casting and matching the intakes between the reeds (cases) and cylinder.

Basically you want everything to fit together well, no burs or jagged edges, no casting slop, but not mirror finished.