Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM

He's such an open minded fellow isn't he?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
He's such an open minded fellow isn't he?
I'm sure he would say something about "doing it the right way" instead of doing what works? He would have all of you using 7.0 springs...across the board, weight is NOT a factor...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
I'm sure he would say something about "doing it the right way" instead of doing what works? He would have all of you using 7.0 springs...across the board, weight is NOT a factor...
I think you're being a little harsh. On my KTM I told him my weight and terrain and he told me a setting that worked pretty well. It was suggested as a starting point not a must have.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 AM

I saw these preload bearings at Factory Connection. I don't know if they're available for Ohlins or Sachs. Do they seem like a good idea to you guys ? They claim that reducing the torsional binding of the spring is the benefit. Makes sense to me but kinda spendy ($110).

Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 AM

I'm sure it will make spinning the preload ring easier when new and clean/lubed, but after its packed with dirt I doubt it. The threads on the shock body/ring are also important. IMO, gimmick. Just clean the shock good, WD40, and it spins easy enough with the weight off the wheel. Once the preload is set to your liking you don't touch it anyway, just take an exact measurement and reset it there for the next time you have the shock out for service.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Factory Connection sure likes to make a good mark-up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=013
Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 PM

The FC bearing has the fancy billet cap that threads onto the shock body
I actually know a little bit about the developement of the FC one. They evidently had a shock on a shock dyno and decided to film it with a high speed camera. Results showed the spring binding and "catching" on the upper adjuster ring as the shock went through its stroke. The bearing got rid of the friction and evidently allows the spring to work better, resulting in a smoother stroke!!! ... may sound like a load of crap but ... seems plausible. Besides fc did the suspension on my drz and it kicked butt!! it is spendy but if I was on the z i might get one as an xmas gift for the bike
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM

If thats the case, I would think it would be a function of the individual shock (brand) preload ring design, as far as the OD/length of the pilot section vs. the ID of the spring is concerned. I think this is a stretch, and would have been addressed a long time ago if it were a general problem. A steel spring covererd with dirt would make quick work of an aluminum preload ring during regular contact and it would be obvious at the next shock service, don't you think?

For $20 the bearing might be handy for setting up a new bike / clean shock especially for adjustments in the woods. I still think it will be useless after the elements take over though.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
If thats the case, I would think it would be a function of the individual shock (brand) preload ring design, as far as the OD/length of the pilot section vs. the ID of the spring is concerned. I think this is a stretch, and would have been addressed a long time ago if it were a general problem. A steel spring covererd with dirt would make quick work of an aluminum preload ring during regular contact and it would be obvious at the next shock service, don't you think?

For $20 the bearing might be handy for setting up a new bike / clean shock especially for adjustments in the woods. I still think it will be useless after the elements take over though.
I think the one I linked is for street/road-race bikes actually. It would have to be better sealed or disassembled after every ride for our use though.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM

FACTORY--every race they clean and lube this little part and I'm sure has some effect on binding but us mear mortals have a long way to go until we could say it had an effect for us. Factory guys Yes!