Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ride Report TTX vs 888

Well after putting in my usual 140km loop this morning, I can say that I'm shattered! Both shocks running 5.4 rate springs with 10mm preload. The 888 was far too stiff and harsh on everything but firetrail. I miss my TTX and can't wait to get it back. It'll be even better than it was after a revalve to address the high speed circuits being too stiff! I admit I was a bit lazy and didn't check the sag measurements but it seems to sag alright under its own weight and more when I jump on it. It soaks up trail trash alright, but as soon as I hit anything choppy or edgy it was like getting rheemed.

I was also amazed how much influence it had over the forks and their action. They became very intimidating as every time I'd hit a series of rough sections the rear wheel would be kicking up, unloading and then putting all the weight onto the forks which then had to work for two. Its really hard to put the power down when the back wheel won't stay in contact too! The amount of body language and strength that was required trying to weight the back end and row the bike over every bump in the trail has left my arms feeling like i've been on the bike for a week!

I've got a sore bum and miss my TTX

Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Maybe you need to ride with the sachs and then go back to the ttx?
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM

ive been on LTR valved sachs and found them quite comparable to my ttx.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Exactly, its all in the valving. You can't accurately compare and pass judgement on two shocks unless they were valved by the same tuner for the same bike/rider/terrain. What makes one shock better than the other is the lack of limitations on flow and valving (piston port size, etc.) as well as range of performance and durability. I think the Sachs is as good or better than an 888 as far as construction and lack of crosstalk from the rebound adjuster. I also have a feeling that the '12 linkage ratio is a bit less aggressive in the begining giving the bike a stiffer initial feel with the same rate spring. JMO, based on sag vs. preload #s.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Hehe,getting rheemed and a sore bum.Are you sure it was the shock?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

I agree completely regarding tuned suspension. My comparison was purely out of the crate as delivered. Stock vs stock with nothing more than the correct spring rate. I don't remember the 888 beating me up so much in the past though, thats the strange thing. How much influence does the nitrogen charge have over the handling? I just had it serviced.

Monkey, we weren't climbing broke back mountain or nothin!! serious eh! Hahah!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM

ya i got that jake, ive ridden 888's alot this year and your bang on stock vs stock, the 888 beats the shit out of me compared to the ttx. however i have one guy i know with a revalved LTR 888 i havnt gotten to ride yet so im excited to see what he did with that! i would rather have the sachs front and rear than 888 rear and 45 fronts anyday though i really like sachs stuff when its tuned up and i must say les has done some great things with my crews stuff!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Jake,

Where is your rebound clicker set? With the 888 you must run the clicker out more as the rebound affects compression (crosstalk). I'm told this happens starting about 15 clicks out, so you want to go past that. The rebound stack must be valved stiffer to allow the clicker to be run farther out for more compression bleed. Makes rebound adjustments more of a PIA. Been through this. If I could choose I'd take a Sachs over the 888 and have Les go through it for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I had the rebound at 14 clicks out. Same as I always ran it. I'm wondering if I may have had too much preload on the spring. It was measured at 10mm, but I didn't check the sags. The compression is waay out around 22 clicks and still too firm. I experienced the cross over effect when I had the shock out and cycled it on the bench. Very noticable effect on the compression as you add rebound in.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Run it around 20 out and drop your preload slightly, should help as long as the rebound is not too fast. Ride faster, it should help as well.