Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
I will be VERY inerested to see the results you get with just the thumb brake. What kind of power you get with it. There is a guy over on the orange site who has done a ton of work with different lever mounted rear brake setups and claims that thumb brakes just don't work with any kind of decent power (yes that thumb setup has been discussed). I like the idea myself but more as an auxiliary option and would keep the foot pedal as your thumb is gonna really tire easily compared to the foot or even a finger activated rear brake.

Anyway, good luck with this cool experiment and of course pics and a ride report when you get a chance.
I've got the same question - how much stopping power can I generate with the thumb brake. Josh @ GP Tech told me several times that if I didn't get the expected results that they'd take the unit back, so I was pleased at the thought of not losing the money spent on that piece. I'd be out the money I spent on the custom brake line from Spiegler, but that's only $83.95+ shipping and I've wasted more money than that on far less.

I'll take pictures and post up what I think about it as I go. Right now I'm busy searching high and low for a Brembo 15cc remote reservoir - Houston seems to be void of them. If I can't find one before this weekend, I'll probably cook something temporary up.

1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM

i ran the gp tech set up on a streetbike, you dont get enough power out of it , it has enough power to drag the brakes and thats about it . The full throttle set up is just like using your foot brake it will lock the rear wheel up and if you run a Brembo master from a street bike you'll get awesome results. You could probably ues a Gasgas clutch master but i doubt it will be big enough.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdj2003 View Post
i ran the gp tech set up on a streetbike, you dont get enough power out of it , it has enough power to drag the brakes and thats about it . The full throttle set up is just like using your foot brake it will lock the rear wheel up and if you run a Brembo master from a street bike you'll get awesome results. You could probably ues a Gasgas clutch master but i doubt it will be big enough.
Do you remember which setup you ran on your streetbike? Was it the cast master or the billet handlebar?
http://www.gptechllc.com/thumbrake.html

I'll have to go dig, but I thought I read on thumpertalk somewhere that someone had successfully converted their magura clutch master over to operate the rear brake. The brake piston on the gg's are probably smaller and fewer in number than on your streetbike, no? The gg probably weighs less as well.

I'm hoping that with less weight, smaller and fewer brake pistons and the more powerful of the two thumb brakes from gp tech that it'll all stack in my favor. Since the parts are already on the way, I'll probably have my answer by the time the weekend is over. Either way, I'm taking all my current brake parts out to the forest with me just in case.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM

it was the cast master, they didnt even have the other options available when i bought one about 4 years ago, if someone is using a magura master im sure the GG one will work ,i would guess the piston diameters are about the same. Did you check out Full throttle ? there stuff is pricey but way better then GP Tech
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdj2003 View Post
it was the cast master, they didnt even have the other options available when i bought one about 4 years ago, if someone is using a magura master im sure the GG one will work ,i would guess the piston diameters are about the same. Did you check out Full throttle ? there stuff is pricey but way better then GP Tech
Good to know it was the cast master - that was the one I originally wanted because it looks easier to manipulate (and it cost less), but I was told it didn't have as much power as the billet thumb brake right below it.

Full throttle has some trick looking stuff. If the GP Tech stuff doesn't work, they're next on my list of places to check out.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Got the stuff in from GP Tech, Spiegler last night. Thumb brake quality looks pretty good - ergonomics are going to be the bigger question.

I'll post pics and some opinions later this weekend.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)

Last edited by getndirty; 06-05-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: because speling is hard
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM

My next door neighbor made one from stuff he had in his garage for his KTM but he hasn't been back in town for a couple of weeks so I don't know how well it works for him. I know he tapped into the clutch reservoir and ran the line to the rear brake. He said it seemed to work well but he was going to give it a good test while he was riding in Mexico.

Tony
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

what exactly is the point of relocating the brake?
personally, id ike it to be a little longer arm, so the pedal was farther away from the peg.
if i was to relocate anything id get rid of the shifter, and go to a pushbutton setup.

id imagine you want moved brake for the same reason id want a moved shifter, my boots are bigger than the gap, and i have to be on my tippy-toes at all times in order to keep from downshifting or locking the brake..

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain thumper View Post
what exactly is the point of relocating the brake?
Why relocate? It's simply lack of skill on my part - I could probably solve it if I'd go out and just work on specific skills rather than riding and trying to remember to practice at the same time.

..anyway.. I took the bike out to a motocross track this weekend and it worked just fine. I was able to drag the rear brake and stay on the throttle in the sand and I was able to lock the rear around sharp corners. My only issue with it is the reach required to get to the lever - it puts your hand in an awkward position. I'll put some pics up this evening when I get home - it's one hell of a contraption.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 AM

I've seen many discussions on this topic and many of them involve using a thumb brake and retaining the stock clutch lever for clutch actuation. I have a Rekluse z-start and for me it would make more sense to get the rekluse LHRB kit, eliminating the foot brake, and use a thumb brake lever to override the clutch. Has anyone done it this way or know any reason why it wouldn't work?