Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up S3 Racing Cylinder Kit and Interchangeable Head

Just got done installing the S3 300 Race ported and honed cylinder, interchangeable S3 head, and S3 piston. The cylinder seems to have all the rough edges honed out. I am excited to actually put some hours on it, but living in MN is going to put a damper on that. Very impressed with the fit and finish on all 3 components. The piston from what I can tell is a Vertex, S3 branded piston.

When I get a chance to ride next I will give a whole report.

Mark @ GoFasters has the interchangeable head for a GG 250 in stock I bought his only 300 head.

He got bunch of goodies from S3 today. Some pretty trick looking wheel stickers, a kit to convert the Yamaha 250F motor to a 300, along with some other interchangeable heads for some KTM and Husaberg models.

Ortonville Minnesota

Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Do you notice any real differences between the old cyl and the new one? IE is it just the ports cleaned up to flow better or have they been significantly changed?

Did you measure up what the squish came in at once fitted etc?

I'm about to drop my 2nd top end in my 2010 300 and will be spending some time cleaning up the casting this time round. Last time was my first top end and I was in a rush to get it back together.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM

From what I can tell that the ports are much cleaner looking, no casting lips. No drastic changes to the ports, but they have all been hit with a dremel like tool. From what I hear it is done by hand, I don't know if that is a fact. I cannot imagine squish would be any different especially something that different base gasket wouldn't change. With the interchangeable head I should be able to dial in the squish I am looking for the inserts seem to be nearly identical to what RB does when they modify the head.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Put the black head in, the response is awesome, same fuel economy.

My bike has a broader bottom end that takes upshifting better. Jet a step richer on the main. You will love it. You may have trouble getting a reading on a new plug. Top end is still there.

Enjoy

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yeppers! Like Simmo I've been running the S3 head for 80hrs now with a Wossner Piston and the Black Insert. I chose the insert to bring the best squish range once setting my port timing where I wanted it. TBH I could still afford to drop another 0.3mm and may do so by leaving one gasket out of the stack when I do my next top end.

I still have all sorts of trouble getting readings on plugs with mine. The intake side always reads darker than the exhaust side. I mostly jet by feel.

Definately improved response with the S3 over the stocker (which had 2.6mm of squisho if memory serves me correct).

I'll be hooking right in with the dremel when the jug comes off and doing some hand crafting of my own. Matching ports and transfers and smoothing out the rough casting.

Me and Simmo are going to be riding home made factory bikes soon enough
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Black huh? I will have to look into that. Where did the piston rest at BDC in relation to the port? What was the squish that you were trying to attain? The more that I think about it, it would seem to me that the port was actually lower than the factory port level. I should have taken a micrometer to the cylinder before installation but I really didn't know anything specific that I was interested in seeing.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroggen View Post
Black huh? I will have to look into that. Where did the piston rest at BDC in relation to the port? What was the squish that you were trying to attain? The more that I think about it, it would seem to me that the port was actually lower than the factory port level. I should have taken a micrometer to the cylinder before installation but I really didn't know anything specific that I was interested in seeing.
Oh well. If it runs well thats all that matters.

Next top end time you'll have something else to look into!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Is there a core charge for this kit? $600 with a piston and jug seems cheap.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM

No core charge. It is a steal. Now everyone can afford to have both the 300 or 250 of their dreams and both at the same time.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Talking

Got a chance to take it out for a bit of a break in. I ended up changing the base gaskets to 2 thick and 1 medium to get the piston BDC, even with the bottom of the exhaust port. Installed the Red/Middle S3 head insert. I am convinced that this cylinder along with the head setup is the ticket, I would never go back! It took less than 30 minutes to change in head insert from the shortest insert to the medium. What a sweet setup S3 did with that.

I have to say that even with it being the first day out since the first week in January, I couldn't stall the beast. I feel like it made a vast improvement off the bottom, and minor improvements up on top.

Now that the 300 can handle anything that I throw at it, hopefully I can do my part and get back into condition soon...
Ortonville Minnesota