Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Default CDI box question

I have a 2002 Gasgas EC250 with the 2k-3 igntion in it right now. I love having the flywheel effect but i would like a more aggresive power curve. I have made this topic befor and i was told that a MC250, DE200, XC200, EC200, DE250, and XC250 will all do what i want it to.

What year can i go up to with the igntions for it to be able to work? I belive they are 2005 and older igntions.

Also, will i need the whole assembly or just the CDI box and be able to Plug and play?

THANKS!!!

Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

Trust me once you ditch the heavy flywheel/stator assembly you wont ever look back. The gasser has such mild porting you dont need the big 3k. With good jetting you can lug the motor right down to the basement without ever stalling. And keep in mind with the black box you going to have to give something to get something, that aggresive timing ramp can be a handfull on low traction icy Cariboo situations that throttle modulation won't overcome, ( read lite up the tire right off idle like a old kx 250)
Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM

I am talking about just switching the ignition for a mapping change. Would i be able to do it without the loss of the big flywheel, or could i mix and match (small flywheel-advanced igntion, or big flywheel-EC igntion). I think if the price is right i might just buy the whole assembly.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

If money were no object I would say go with the smaller 2k and a hi /low black box. If your a squid, and be honest here, go for the big 3k and high/low black box.The 3k sucks for huge power robbing hillclimbs because you can't keep the tire spinning as the rev's start to fall off and the front end will want to wheelie and claw its way out of the rut.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Get the 2k, box of your choice and the G2 throttle. Also remove the reed valve spacer for a bit quicker hit. The cdi box and the ignition are seperate pieces and I believe interchange freely.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Alright sounds good. I might try to put the newer igntion with the dual mapping switch if i can get one. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Where do you want the power to be aggressive? It's almost always give and take with 2 stroke power.

Here are the things I noticed about my GasGas 300s.

#1. A #8 slide adds big low-end surge.
#2. R&B headwork adds enough low-end that I changed jetting and gearing to smooth things out. You lose some top-end, but who cares. Shift and use that sweet torque.
#3 The switchable ignition is nice, but is less noticable after the head work.
#4 Gearing changes really stand out on these close ratio 6-speeds. Gearing lower will put you onto the pipe earlier.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM

I am going to do the Head and carb mods in a while but for now i just want to ride. I love the Gasgas power but it lacks some excitment. I am going to see if i can try the igntion and i also have a FMF Gnarly pipe coming due to extensive damage on the stock messico pipe.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM

The newer dual map CDI has a different connector system and mounts different. If you find one of these you will need the mating harness.

I would get a 2K-2 and a 10 to 14 oz spin-on weight, combined with a more aggressive CDI. This spins up a lot quicker than the 2K-3 but is still pretty tame. You can also add the G2 throttle. I run this on my '07 in everything from technical rocks to sand. Very flexible system. Only disadvantage is power output for lighting, if that matters. As far as CDIs, more bottom end goes hand in hand with midrange hit. After having the dual map '07 250 CDI for a year, I can say it makes a difference but not a big difference. More effect on the 300 than the 250.

Gnarly pipe gives good bottom, a midrange bang, and goes flat early. I like the newer GG OEM pipe best.

Don't forget jetting.

You have to think about what you want as far as power and delivery, and go from there.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM

I want more mid and top end. I am sad at the fact i have a FMF Gnarly now because i what i read about them. I am going to get the Messico pipe re paird for a spare in case i crush the FMF.

I am going to do my suspension, head mod, and carb mod befor this one i think.

One last question: Is it possible to just use a 2k2 flywheel?