Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Default The Future of GasGas in the USA

I really like GasGas bikes and have thought about buying one several times. It bothers me that they almost did not have an importer to the US a couple of years ago. Also, I go to a couple of GNCC events a year and you never see a GasGas factory tent set up. They haven't gone after the US market very aggressively. Anyway, I fear I'll buy one, and then they'll do like Husky did a few years back. No US importer - and no way to get parts.

Does anyone out there have a little insight they could shed?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Site Sponsor

Hang onto your hat, you're about to get overwhelmed by responses.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
Hang onto your hat, you're about to get overwhelmed by responses.
Good - I hope they have some substance and aren't just rants. GasGas looks like the perfect bike to me. I found a great looking 2005 EC300 I wanted to buy for my son, but I backed out when my local mechanic buddy got to talking GasGas parts availability. I would still buy one if it look like they would continue to be around.

I like to be different - my first bike was a Hodaka 100B. All my friends were riding Hondas.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 PM

I have had owned a GG since 2000. I have always had parts promptly shipped to my door by any number of dealers. One major advantage of the GG bikes is they don't needlessly change stuff every year. Many if not most of parts that fit on my 99 fit on my 02 and now on my 07. This allows dealers to actually have a stock of parts that will have a reasonable chance of being sold. I have found that Jap bikes and the KTM's change so often the dealers don't stock anything for them. I have had much better luck getting parts than my bike than my brother has for his Yamaha WR or his KTM. Just cause your local mechanic buddy doen't know where to get parts doesn't mean they are not available. BUy whatever you like, but I personally would not count GG out because of parts avaialbility or because there was a transition in the importer awhile back.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

i will admit, when i got my 300 last year, the parts thing scared me.
the go-fasters guys have taken all the scare out of owning such a great bike.
I am a long way from them, amarillo TX, but normally i order stuff on monday and it is on my front porch friday, ground shipping.
they are super nice guys on the phone and very knowledgable...
matter of fact, i just bought my second one this month..
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

and i still have an ace 100b in my shed... 1969 vintage
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM

When I used to ride Hondas, I had a linkage bushing go south on me. The part was backordered and took over a month for me to get a new one. I've been riding Gassers since 2005 and have never missed a ride nor race due to needing parts. That includes the past 2 seasons riding 3-5 times a week while preparing for the six days. If need be I've had GoFasters overnight me stuff (I live right on the border with WA state so it's easy for me to get stuff shipped here). There's also the fact that these bikes are so reliable they really don't need many parts besides crash damage (and even then, they're really, really durable). My 01 EC200 has over 1000 hours on the top end.

People using parts availability as an excuse to avoid GasGas are ill informed and ignorant. It's easier to get GasGas parts than it is to get parts for most of the big 5. Yes, you may not have a dealer within spitting difference, but these days you don't need one. It's easy to get stuff shipped, and in some cases there's parts crossovers (Honda brake pads fit, for example).

The #1 reason people don't buy GasGas? They're afraid to be different. Instead they act like sheep, buying an orange bike that has worse suspension than a 1980's pogostick and a turning radius similar to the Titanic.

I don't think there's anyone in the world who regretted buying a Gasser.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM

I live in MN and I get parts from Go Fasters "Next Day Ground" shipping.

I have never had anything back ordered.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM

I have known the Gas Gas guys for a while now. They are great guys and work real hard. And just recently they have signed me on to be there factory rider for the GNCC and OMA races in the Pro class. I can tell you that they will have a serious presence at those events this year. I have never herd of any parts issues, and after riding the bikes, I am sold.

Justin Williamson
WilliamsonRacing.com
Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 PM

I've been on gassers now for 10 years and have never had anything as durable or as easy to get parts for. In the past I've had honda, suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha, ktm, bultaco, sears, harley, bmw, hodaka, and cz motorcycles.

I don't ride gassers because they're different I ride them because for me they're the best.