Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcca View Post
The older lecterns do differ from the newer ones, not 100% sure if the differences but I do know that the needles are not interchangeable between the old and new and the old ones only allow needle adjustments of 1 full turn whe the new knew will do 1/4 turn increments. The new ones are definitely a better carb for the sort of riding we all do.

With the dimensions it should be possible to reduce the length by ~5mm with some minor machining to make it an easier fit. Will look into it if it becomes an issue.

Jake if you want I'll send a 3-2 needle to try... It'll have a richer bottom end and same mid range compared to the current 3-1 needle so you'll be able to drop it further to lean out the mid but avoid the hanging idle.
That might be an option Dave. I'm happy to experiment with the carb while I have it here. Perhaps you could slip the needle in with that other order we've been discussing. In relation to changing the needles out, whats the process? Do you just unthread it all the way and then thread the new one in? Any issues with wear on the plastic thread over time?

Hopefully I'll know more after a decent ride on it too. With the top end jet whats the technical term for it, and what sized jet did you have in there? Will I need to adjust this if changing needles? Currently it was only set at 3/4's of a turn out from fully seated. I'm yet to make any adjustments to it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM

I checked my power jet setting to give you something to go by. It is currently at 3/4 of a turn out from all the way in. When I got it from Lectron it was 1.75 turns out and had more top end than it did with the PWK, but it is even better now. Temps today were 52F and it ran great.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to have a play with the powerjet and see how it responds to coming out half a turn richer. Felt like it went a bit flat in top gear WOT. Not bogging but I think it could use a little more fuel.

Does anyone know if there is any circuit overlap on these carbs? If I go to a larger powerjet will it still have some effect over the bottom and mid as well?

After putting 30kms on it today, just a little run down a wooped and washed out track with a few nice rocky hills I'm pretty happy with it. As happy as I was with my previous setup. They are both very similar actually, and I think what am I trying to achieve is to get the Lectron to feel like the AS2 setup did. Maybe I'm mad?

Having a glimpse into the tank I've used about 3L over 30kms so thats pretty standard usage, and I was pretty heavily into the throttle. The bike loves to throw the front wheel around and begs to keep taking gears. I had the drift HD setup, but got home and for some reason it didn't record. Pretty bummed with that, but oh well. I think the bike could use a fraction more fuel right off the bottom too (just for added torque), but it definitely doesn't need anymore through the mid. Maybe a touch more up top.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM

The Lectron needles just unscrew from the slide, in the same way that you screw them in an out to change the mixture. Ill send the new needle this arvo or tomorrow morning.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Dave.

Today I put a solid 70kms on the bike with mixed terrain from tropical rainforest, humid, damp, exposed roots and ruts galore to dry sandy, rocky goat tracks, and all tied together with some flowing woopee trails. A fairly decent mix to get a grasp on it.

It feels to be a bit beefier in the mid range than my previous setup was. A bit more grunt just below band, which has also had the effect of smoothing the transition. Burbling off the bottom is very similar, however the Lectron feels it lacks punch right off idle. I'm going to go richer and see if I can get a bit more right off the bottom. The bike isn't bogging or missing, but just doesn't feel as punchy as it could be. Once up in the revs it runs like a champ!

Before I left I brought the power jet out another 1/8th of a turn which feels better than it was. After the first section of single track pulling a gear high and loading the engine up I had the old hanging idle again so went a quater of a turn richer on the rod. No more hanging idle for the rest of the day. It would smoke a bit in the slow going, but so would my AS2 with current jetting. I'm hoping that I can get another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn on the metering rod picking up some more torque without introducing too much burbling, or taking too much snap away from the midrange.

Fuel consmpution I have not checked yet but visually looking in the tank I can see a good quanitity floating around. I'm guessing I would have been on target and used about 6-7L for the 70kms of riding. I'll follow this up when I refill the tank.

Got some video footage too. Give me a week and I'll be able to post some up. Cheers
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Got some video footage too. Give me a week and I'll be able to post some up. Cheers
Come on Jake, some of us have short attention sp ... hey wait, there's a squirrel

Looking forward to the review, but not what it's going to do the race budget
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 AM

Nice work.

Sent you the 3-2 needle today express post, hopefully be there in a couple of days. Will be interested to see if it sorts the low rpm running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Thanks Dave.

Today I put a solid 70kms on the bike with mixed terrain from tropical rainforest, humid, damp, exposed roots and ruts galore to dry sandy, rocky goat tracks, and all tied together with some flowing woopee trails. A fairly decent mix to get a grasp on it.

It feels to be a bit beefier in the mid range than my previous setup was. A bit more grunt just below band, which has also had the effect of smoothing the transition. Burbling off the bottom is very similar, however the Lectron feels it lacks punch right off idle. I'm going to go richer and see if I can get a bit more right off the bottom. The bike isn't bogging or missing, but just doesn't feel as punchy as it could be. Once up in the revs it runs like a champ!

Before I left I brought the power jet out another 1/8th of a turn which feels better than it was. After the first section of single track pulling a gear high and loading the engine up I had the old hanging idle again so went a quater of a turn richer on the rod. No more hanging idle for the rest of the day. It would smoke a bit in the slow going, but so would my AS2 with current jetting. I'm hoping that I can get another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn on the metering rod picking up some more torque without introducing too much burbling, or taking too much snap away from the midrange.

Fuel consmpution I have not checked yet but visually looking in the tank I can see a good quanitity floating around. I'm guessing I would have been on target and used about 6-7L for the 70kms of riding. I'll follow this up when I refill the tank.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcca View Post
Nice work.

Sent you the 3-2 needle today express post, hopefully be there in a couple of days. Will be interested to see if it sorts the low rpm running.
Cheers Dave

What is the suggested starting position? Would you place it in at the same level as it is? Or a bit leaner? Also anything to be aware of when changing it out? I don't want to strip the plastic threads out or the likes.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Cast SC is only a few weeks away now!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Cast SC is only a few weeks away now!
Very true.. and mine too! It'll be equally as interesting to see how it compares to the Lectron. For the jump in price I'm hoping its a touch better again. Maybe the external rod adjuster will justify the price hike. I still question the whole one metering rod for all applications that we have been promised, but time will tell.