Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 AM

Question Pro-Tect Sub Mount

Got my Pro-Tect sub mount and installed it last night. I bolted it up to the top clamp in the vise, only to find out the area around the stem nut is too tight to fit a 30mm socket when I dropped the clamp on! Seems neccessary though as milling more away may compromise strength around the damper mount holes. So, I was able to loosen it with the clamp still in place, tighten the stem nut, and retighten the sub mount. PIA, I don't want to have to R&R it this way again. What did you guys do that have them? Find a thin wall socket that fits or grind one? (this would be fine as the torque on the nut is light, like 20 Nm). Thin section 30mm wrench?

Nice part though at a good price, and Pete while a little busy is great to deal with. Puts the bars 21mm higher and over the centerline of the fork tubes. Unlike my brother's BRP on his Husky, I can eaisly remove the Scotts damper with the bars in place. I used Bike Bonz handguard mouints. Very clean install, now I just have to fab up a new mounting bracket for my ICO.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Thta is my only peave with the mount. I was thinking of getting a 30mm and grinding it down. It's a PIA to me but only an issue for me once a year.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Good info to know as I have not yet installed the custom UBM he made for me on my 97 250 KTM with my EMIG top clamp.

I also had the bars moved almost 1/2" forward over the fork centerline and have the Bonz guard mounts as well. Good taste GMP! VERY sweet looking setup with the EMIG top clamp I must say. I'm sending out the damper mount and Bonz clamps to be anodized to add some additional bling factor to the old steed.

Skidad in MA

Funny...I don't even own a GG (yet) and I'm now a senior member with just over 100 posts. I need to actually start doing work at work I guess.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM

I like to loctite and properly torque the mounting bolts in the vise, hard to do on the bike with lack of space. The torque is too high for my smaller torque wrench and the larger (correct) one won't fit. I'll just buy another 30mm socket and introduce it to Mr. grinder, won't be the first time.

I've ridden with lower bars for years with no problems. I had Pastrana Freestyle bars (very tall) for awhile, liked the height but hated the sweep as I like a very straight bar. I went back to KTM SX bend Renthals. BTW, the OEM '07 GG Hebo bars are VERY close in bend to my KTM Renthals, I just have the Renthals cut and set up with ATek inserts from my '03. A top mount damper with spacers under the mounts for height just puts more stress (and associated flex) in the tower. The sub mount with the very short tower should eliminate any remaining flex. This year I'm on a mission to get off the seat more to reduce impact forces through my back. Just sitting on it I like the more foward, aggressive feel.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM

its like riding with a damper and then getting on a bike without one,when I ride my buddys 250 GasGas it feels so short in the bars without the mount,I like the extra height,it feels way better when standing up and puts you in the right position when riding hard,my only gripe is you need to roll the route sheet inside the holder as it doesnt come off or out,and lately I have been getting water inside ruining route sheets,may have to put a little foam tape on the edge or tape it after its loaded,I think I took off the bars to tighten mine down,all I had was a huge adjustable
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM

I added a a pic of the ProTect to my gallery as well as a couple of the well used Hyde combo.