Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Default 2012 300 - Ohlins rear shock

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the OEM Ohlins rear shock.
The 888 vs the new Ohlins one they have that is the TTX?
I see the Guillaume EC Replicas have this shock as OEM from GG.
Thanks

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM

TTX is a completely different design, unlike conventional shim stack on piston setups. The piston is solid and pushes/pulls fluid through each of the twin tubes where the valving and adjusters reside.

Any shock is only as good as the valving. The 888 is excellent with minor tweaking, primarily adding rebound. You just have to have this tight enough because if you try and adjust too much in with the clicker, you introduce "cross talk" which affects the compression. Once you understand that the rebound clicker should not be run in past 15 clicks and adjust the stack, all is good. I did very well on the bike this past year and it did not beat me up or hold me back at all.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Glen, did you build the new stack for the shock yourself? If I remember you are around 160? I don't have anything to do this, and a guy that I know does, but is not a "builder." Me, at 250 geared up, it is going to be fighting a heavy spring so I know it will need to be firmed up in the rebound.
Thanks
Rob
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
TTX is a completely different design, unlike conventional shim stack on piston setups. The piston is solid and pushes/pulls fluid through each of the twin tubes where the valving and adjusters reside.

Any shock is only as good as the valving. The 888 is excellent with minor tweaking, primarily adding rebound. You just have to have this tight enough because if you try and adjust too much in with the clicker, you introduce "cross talk" which affects the compression. Once you understand that the rebound clicker should not be run in past 15 clicks and adjust the stack, all is good. I did very well on the bike this past year and it did not beat me up or hold me back at all.
Glenn
Thanks for the reply.
My 2012 suspension was completely rebuilt and revalved by Pro-Action Suspension in PA. They did a great job!!! Plus they will revalve/rebuild the suspension for life!!

Guess I was just curious if the TTX is that much better then my 888. From your response it does not seem like it. I ran across a great deal on a TTX and have been going back and forth and getting it.....

In regards to the bottom clicker and your comments. This seems to be an issue with mine. When I go to turn in all the way it does not come to a complete stop but I can tell as it gets tight and goes in to 1/2 clicks. Right now I am at 27 clicks out. But the other thing I notice is that when I back it out all the way there seems to be NO stop at all. Feels as though it is going to come completely out, but it never will. This seems odd to me since it is such a well made shock. But again I don't think it is any big deal as the shock performs great. It makes my old CRF Showa shock seem as though it was actually never working....
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM

No. I usually have Les work on my stuff but I needed it fast for a race, so I had it done by Evan at Solid Performance, a local ECEA guy. It got pretty loose after it broke in and I didn't want to race it again like that. Very good now. I'm between 175 - 180 in shorts, decided to stay with stock springs for now at least. It only soft bottoms occasionally off jumps in the MX track sections of harescrambles. Also, looking at photos of me on the bike in the races it rides nice and high in the stroke, looks correct and feels the same. One thing I am going to do is reduce main fork spring preload a couple mm to get the fork to settle a little better, and make the PFP adjuster a bit more usefull.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Ask jakobi about the differences he feels as he upgraded to a Ttx from a 888. I have ridden valved 888's and think the Ttx feels superior, tracks better at high speed over gnarly rocks and just plain feels better over logs and other larger obstacles. I've also ridden les's worked over Sachs front and rear and think there great but the ttx front and rear is better in my opinion.just an off topic note I did like the 48 zokes as much as I liked my ttx front. Those are really nice forks!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM

The thing is Trevor is that TTX is like a UFO around here, none to be seen, so little knowledge base for tuning. Even the fastest of the fast just run custom valved OEM stuff, no matter the brand. If I had the chance to ride one, and it was better, I would be in a state of anxiety until I got one.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

My comparison is not a fair one as I never invested in revalving the stock shock. I tuned it as best I could with a heavier spring and working the clickers. I think it actually responded better with the lighter spring as it felt pretty horrible with the 5.4, and much plusher with a 5.2.

In the TTX I am running a 5.4 spring. I have had some hsc taken out by Ohlins USA. I have requested the actual changes and am waiting on that. Its worlds apart from the 888 stock vs stock though. The only gripe I have with the TTX is that it sometimes kicks the back end when hitting logs at pace, especially if you don't get the front wheel over. I haven't known a shock that can deal with this perfectly either though so maybe I'm asking too much? With the ttx dialled in now its a dream. Its almost hard to break traction in the right conditions as its hooking up so well. Lots of front wheel action, even around corners getting into it hard. It makes trail trash disappear and tracks true and straight through the bigger hits. I'm pretty sold on it. If I can just tune out the kicking ninja log action I'll be stoked. Even with it the way it is my pace has lifted to a point where I actually have to add more fluid into the forks to increase the bottoming resistance for g-outs.

What Glenn says is also valid though. Having any shock thats tuned to you will be worlds ahead of one thats not. I just found the TTX very close straight out of the box.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
My comparison is not a fair one as I never invested in revalving the stock shock. I tuned it as best I could with a heavier spring and working the clickers. I think it actually responded better with the lighter spring as it felt pretty horrible with the 5.4, and much plusher with a 5.2.

In the TTX I am running a 5.4 spring. I have had some hsc taken out by Ohlins USA. I have requested the actual changes and am waiting on that. Its worlds apart from the 888 stock vs stock though. The only gripe I have with the TTX is that it sometimes kicks the back end when hitting logs at pace, especially if you don't get the front wheel over. I haven't known a shock that can deal with this perfectly either though so maybe I'm asking too much? With the ttx dialled in now its a dream. Its almost hard to break traction in the right conditions as its hooking up so well. Lots of front wheel action, even around corners getting into it hard. It makes trail trash disappear and tracks true and straight through the bigger hits. I'm pretty sold on it. If I can just tune out the kicking ninja log action I'll be stoked. Even with it the way it is my pace has lifted to a point where I actually have to add more fluid into the forks to increase the bottoming resistance for g-outs.

What Glenn says is also valid though. Having any shock thats tuned to you will be worlds ahead of one thats not. I just found the TTX very close straight out of the box.
Thanks for the response.
Can you explain more when you say have "hsc" taken out??
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM

"hsc" is high speed compression, as in dampening from that section of the valve shim stack.

A stock shock is like a blank sheet of paper. Any serious racer would never expect it to be set up for him out of the box, but sometimes its closer than others depending on all the parameters.

Who has experience tuning TTX near you in Austrailia? Nice thing about the 888 is I can have it serviced/tuned by Les, or at an event in an emergency if needed by Solid Performance.

You have to be reasonable when talking about hitting logs, how big a log? I can tell you mine takes hits from crossing telephone poles with no big problems.