Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Would you switch from a Top to a Sub mount for Scott's with stock trip clamp??
Yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Sure, its all relative. At 5'9", a submount's height increase is huge in feel. Less so 6'+. I raised my bars with shims just enough to get the tool on the PFP adjusters with the Flexxbars.

Pivot pegs seem to make leaning foward over the bars a lot more natural, without being hunched over as you say.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Sure, its all relative. At 5'9", a submount's height increase is huge in feel. Less so 6'+. I raised my bars with shims just enough to get the tool on the PFP adjusters with the Flexxbars.

Pivot pegs seem to make leaning foward over the bars a lot more natural, without being hunched over as you say.
Glenn, I am actually surprised by this as I am 5'10" and really like the height that I have now due to the Mount/Riser/Bar combo that I have now. I agree that it is a personal choice but I wouldn't have thought that the 1" difference between us would equal that difference in feel.

the first prototype that I made [much lower profile], was used in conjunction with the Scott's top clamp/riser setup [all I had on hand at the time] had the bars so much higher that I was cramped when standing and just plain weird when sitting. I experienced the weird arm stuff that you were speaking of so badly that I had to pull out of the HS after one lap to keep from killing myself.
It did provide crucial information as to what I need to do and thus the final product was achieved.

I am using my mount w/ a KTM stock bar clamp [currently 7/8, the 1-1/8 I have is same height] w/ Pro Taper Yamaha Mini bars. This combo achieves a height difference of about 13mm above stock without a mount and gives the option of #3 or #4 bar positions just like the Scott's did on my old KTM.

I found the stock position to be too low and close in for my liking when sitting or standing in rough terrain. The slightly more forward #3 position and added height [from the sub mount] really made my preferred riding positions feel very neutral and natural.

The purpose of this was not to start a debate, that is why I kept the question/poll to a very simple Yes/No. I know that a lot of people like the bling but quite honestly, I have never found a nice bling top clamp [keeping std geometry] that actually improved my ability.

The damper on the other hand I feel has.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Disclaimer

Guys/Gals .... I am not trying to start an argument or ruffle any feathers of personal choice.

I simply thought I could help my fellow riders, by offering a less costly [much cheaper than the other examples given so far] alternative for a part that I found to be highly useful and fill what I thought to be a void in the marketplace.

If there was enough interest to justify having some made, I would go ahead and offer them up in the new products section and follow all of the proper site rules pertaining to it.

Heck, I am just a retired auto mechanic that had an idea and wanted to act on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM

I don't think any feather's are being ruffled. We all agree it's personal choice and preference and no one's setup is better than the next guys.

It's just a topic on the forum and I think a good one and we all just chime in on what are preferences are and it turns into a discussion, no one is right it's just talking about what each other likes. All is good and the product your talking about might be exactly what someone needs..
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cberg View Post
I don't think any feather's are being ruffled. We all agree it's personal choice and preference and no one's setup is better than the next guys.

It's just a topic on the forum and I think a good one and we all just chime in on what are preferences are and it turns into a discussion, no one is right it's just talking about what each other likes. All is good and the product your talking about might be exactly what someone needs..
Agreed!
I just wanted to preemptively make it clear!

I enjoy input, but I have seen stuff like this get waaay out of hand on some other boards in the past. Personal preference with dirtbikers is similar to politics! LOL
Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 PM

Of course there is no problem, its just fit, like bar choice.

There is a difference in the frames from the pre '12 to '12+. Cockpit size is bigger for sure. I run the bars farther foward on the '07 than the '12 for a similar feel. I just like a low, flat bar. 5'9" but long arms so maybe thats it. I have 10 deg enduro low Flexxbars, very nice. More sweep or height and I start to have wrist/arm issues.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Of course there is no problem, its just fit, like bar choice.

There is a difference in the frames from the pre '12 to '12+. Cockpit size is bigger for sure. I run the bars farther foward on the '07 than the '12 for a similar feel. I just like a low, flat bar. 5'9" but long arms so maybe thats it. I have 10 deg enduro low Flexxbars, very nice. More sweep or height and I start to have wrist/arm issues.
I really need to get a ride on a post '12 bike. Until I made the mount and settled on the height/bar bend that I felt good with, I felt very cramped on the bike. I am still not 100% comfortable with it like I my YZ 250. I thought transferring my bars [McGrath bend] over [to the '01 250] form the YZ would help, I thought wrong. Then I picked up the '03 300 and tried both setups from the YZ & KTM to no avail. These GG's have some narrow freaking frames. I find it difficult to squeeze them with my legs in braces.