Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Question Anyone Know About The Efm Auto Clutch, Good Or Bad?

Im Thinking About Purchasing A Used Efm Auto Clutch But I'm Not Familiar With This Brand. Anybody Have Any Experience Or Knowledge Of The Brand ?

Thanks George
05 Ec300

Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

here you go goerge,pretty much a great read,probably THE used clutch your looking to buy as well http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/...ead.php?t=2476
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm hoping Woodsrider will give us an update on his EFM auto clutch. Has it performed well with more miles on it? Any maintenance needed? I've read the report from one of Jim's friends who bought a GG 2 stroke with EFM who disliked it. Anyone else have experience with the EFM?
Rekluse won't make one for the outdated xr's but EFM has them for the 400's. I would like to hear a few positive comments on the EFM before I would think about installing one on my XR.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-30-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Efm

I had one on my CRF 450R for three years and it performed great. I did not have to replace the clutch plates until I sold it. With some of the other auto clutches on the market you must remove a clutch plate and disk but with the EFM you retain all the clutch parts which makes it last longer. Once it is dialed in it is almost like cheating in a race. That succer will not stall unless you lock up the brakes while you are on the gas. With the EFM you have the option of installing a bolt that allows you to bump-start the bike if needed. Be sure to grease the small allen head bolts that screw into the clutch basket or they can be impossible to remove; I had to drill mine out in order to replace the clutch when I sold it.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Thanks For All The Info Guys!

I Think I Will Try To Find A Rekluse.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Well, I just found out that EFM no longer makes them for the XR400's. Rev-loc makes one for them though. They have just done an improvement to it also. Supposed to perform beautifully. But they cost $1000.00
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
I'm hoping Woodsrider will give us an update on his EFM auto clutch. Has it performed well with more miles on it? Any maintenance needed?
A bit late, but I'll try and give a quick synopsis. I've had the EFM autoclutch in my '01 XC300 for almost 11 months. Since then I've ridden the bike in 10 enduros. Stalling is a thing of the past. Officially I finished the NETRA Enduro Season 3rd in Vet-C. I was in first until I took high-point C at the Wrentham Woodie Enduro and got promoted to B. Ended up 5th in B-Heavy (Open).

Originally the autoclutch came with 4 ea. 0.015" washers behind the basket. I had to play around with this and ended up pulling three of the washers out. The set-up instructions aren't as good as those I've seen on the Rev-Loc auto-clutch. When trying to pull too high of a gear the clutch does squeal. However, adding another 0.015" washer (two wahsers now installed) has minimized this squeal.

For fluid I'm using 50/50 Type F ATF/10w-30 motor oil in warm weather and straight Type F ATF in winter. The squeal is most likely indicative of friction plate wear. It has helped me keep the bike in the correct gear rather than just lug it.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:55 PM

I had a used EFM in my '01 XC300 for a season or two. It had bounced from owner to owner and I traded it for my stock clutch parts. Turns out it had a design/manufacturing flaw so I became very familiar with Garry, who was helpful. In the end we got it working but I went back to a stock clutch and would consider only a Recluse if I went this route again. But using the clutch is part of my riding style and I'll just stick with the old fashioned clutch for now.

Jon
'01 XC300