Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 AM

Default Crazy idea...

Hi Guys,

I don't own a GAS GAS -yet, so don't get down on me, I don't own a KTM either so I'm neutral.

Anyway I'm in the planning stages of making a v-twin 500 - 600cc based on the GAS GAS 250 & 300 engines. Very much like a Bimota V-Due, but I'm going to use available engines and make the cases to suit the parts.

Anyway I've got a thread on the apriliaforum/RS250 so I won't repeat everything here...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=233517

But if anyone is doing a top & bottom end rebuild at the moment of either an EC 250 or 300 and could take some pics with a ruler in the shot for perspective I'd appreciate it.

The reason(s) I've tentatively chosen the GAS GAS - They're getting great reviews, they've made a 250 superkart engine that is apparently sensational and their engines have case reeds which suits my purpose & design.

I could hypothetically have either case reeds or disc valves with a blanking plate on the cases.

From a starting point of view, I reckon the 300 will be tuned to be reliable and not too stressed straight from the factory. Once I get a working engine then I can think about going to town with perfrmance mods.

Plus it's easier for me to have a pair of contra-rotating cranks geared together than it is to go down the Banshee route. There's lots of options for them, but they're so highy tuned they go bang regularly.

Anyway I'm at the point of needing some basic measurements, crank web diameters, widths etc etc so I can see what's available primary drive & driven gears and to refine the case and transmission layout.

peace out

Glenn

Last edited by ruckusman; 08-25-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Look at how the Yamaha RZ-500's were done, they have twin cranks...

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 AM

Yeah I'm vaguely basing the design onthe RZ500, but moreso on the V-Due and the 250GP bikes, which are all contra-rotating twin crank v-twins.

Really just need crank and crankcase diameters to be able to source primary drive gears of the right diameter to gear both cranks together.

Then primary drive and trasnmission will likely come from a 600 or 750 diesel for the correct ratio for a road bike

So if anyone has any damaged, cranks, cases or cylinders from the 250's or 300's give me a holler.

Also any pics & or measurements much appreciated