Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM

Default New Member, 2012 EC or XC 300??? Update, apparently 2013...

Hi all,

New GasGas owner here. I picked up a 2012 300 for $1800 OTD from a local dealership. Not sure if it's an XC or EC, e model or what? The add said 2012 XC300 and my temp registration says 2014 EC300E??? Date code on bike says 12/2012. I'm also trying to determine if the FMF pipe has a spark arrestor built in? We need one for a lot of places in Northern California... (never mind all the goo in the pic, dealer had the mode switch on rich and I blew a bunch out my first ride).

It has the electric start, but it doesn't engage. The starter turns but the lower bendix gear is worn and the large gear on the clutch is missing some teeth. Once I get tired of kicking it I'll get the Honda scooter bendix, a new gear and follow the tutorials for proper assembly/shimming.

The only other problem is the lights not working and half the controls being broke off the old bars (dealer put new bars on). I don't have a kill swithch, only the key and the starter button (found a pair of wires taped off behind headlight that could be for the killswitch).

The bike has great compression and the dealer cleanded and re-jetted the carb. It makes amazing power down low and in the midrange, and then flattens off up top. I've only ridden it once and I like how easy it is to cruise, yet when you get on it hard it feels even more responsive! Once it's warmed up there is no smoke either.

I come from a street background and enjoy track days, and i'm looking forward to learning how to maintain and ride my new beast. It's been 20 years since I've had a dirt bike or two stroke, and my last one wasn't this fancy! I'm pretty happy with the purchase since all the important parts have been maintained properly. A little TLC and she'll be good as new.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6885.jpg (25.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6893.jpg (113.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6887.jpg (125.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6891.jpg (116.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by BLD; 09-15-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:15 PM

If the build date is 12/2012 then it should be a 2013 model. I believe that most of the bikes sold in the U.S. are XC models but there may be some EC's. The EC300 is the model sold in Europe and Australia that has the full wiring harness to run a headlight and turn signals/indicators. The E at the end of EC300E indicates that it has the electric start.

The FMF pipe is probably a Q Stealth and most likely doesn't have a spark arrester but someone stateside should be able to give you a better idea of what they came with in the U.S.

It looks like a pretty decent bike for that price. Have fun with it. And welcome aboard the site. You will find a wealth of knowledge on here.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I would bet that the pipe has a spark arrestor in it, just look for the "USFS" stamping somewhere on the body of the muffler, usually on the end somewhere.

Regarding the starter ring gear, remove the stator nut and rotate the ring gear one stud on the stator. The crank usually stops at the same exact spot, and once you wear those teeth down, just rotate it until you find a good set of teeth.

As for wiring, NeilE (I think) is our wiring guru. Check into the Electrical forum and you will find exactly what you need to get it up and running. There are even a couple of threads on wiring in a new switch block.

And that was a terrible deal. I'll take it off your hands for $1900 just because I feel sorry for you.

Enjoy the bike!

Edit: Neil E. is the electrical fellow.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Thanks! I checked my VIN online and it looks like you were right philm, I have a 2013 according to the online decoder I found.

Thanks pscook, I just checked and my muffler does have the USFS stamping and says spark arrestor behind the right side plastic. I rotated the big gear while I had the starter apart and still no luck... Once I get some extra cash I'll order the new parts and find out what needs to be shimmed. As far as the lighting goes, I'll tackle that once I tear the bike down for other maint. I used to be an electronics tech and am pretty handy with a meter. I found the manuals online too so once I have the time I'll dig in deeper. I did a quick check with my meter and there were no shorts or grounds which is good.