Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Suggestion Box

Suggestion Box Help us make this place the best it can be!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Exclamation Time to update our home page.

I would like to respectfully suggest an update to our home page. It's the first impression of our community to newcomers, and a representation of its membership group. Although I won't deny the 2014 models were quite exciting!

Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Latest model on top and swipe back thru the best of each year previous?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Or even just some good user submitted photographs, if the admins don't want the hassle of constantly updating it each year.

2011 GG EC300

2008 KTM 300 XCW - Rekluse, LHRB
Old 07-19-2016, 04:33 PM

Some motorcycle forums have gone away from using a home page and just land on the actual forum list when you visit. All the info is then contained in the actual forums. I rarely ever look for a home page on a forum site; all I use is the actual forums containing the topics.

The question is: Is it worth maintaining a home page? That gets back to the determination of web site vs. forum. I like to think that the actual users generate the content on a forum. On a web site the admin or their staff generate the content. Only the admin can decide how much time is available to spend on updating a web site.

In many ways it's a thankless task and even moreso considering the huge effort required to stay current with changing software and platforms. That is why many forums keep their layout and appearance for a significant time. I really like the straightforward layout that this forum has.

Hats off to Jeff for all his hard work.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Administrator

I think you should use the right tool for the right job...

Reference material goes best on a web cms like wikimedia or wordpress. Cramming a bunch of manuals/app notes on a forum gets unwieldy. The downside of putting everything on the forum is you end up with a bunch of stickies at the top - which, I think, is really bad... Having to scroll though these every time you visit a forum to see "what's new" is not good...

My goal would be to have wordpress for main page and move to something for the forum that is up to date. We are on a very old version of vbulletin and we don't want to move to their newer version. It isn't good...

jeff
Old 07-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Administrator

I think you should use the right tool for the right job...

Reference material goes best on a web cms like wordpress. Cramming a bunch of manuals/app notes on a forum gets unwieldy. The downside of putting everything on the forum is you end up with a bunch of stickies at the top - which, I think, is really bad... Having to scroll though these every time you visit a forum to see "what's new" is not good...

My goal would be to have wordpress for main page and move to something for the forum that is up to date. We are on a very old version of vbulletin and we don't want to move to their newer version. It isn't good...

That being said - I added the main page picture at the request of someone - I used a very old tool to create the web pages (netobjects fusion) - I no longer have it - so I hack the html for minor changes.. I'll update the main page this weekend.

jeff
Old 07-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Hooray! Thanks.

2011 GG EC300

2008 KTM 300 XCW - Rekluse, LHRB
Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Why not a new version of phpbb for the forums? It seems to be pretty much ubiquitous, easy to configure, etc etc. It's been probably 10+ years since I configured my own web server but that was always the way to go.

Current forums work fine but it has its quirks.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM

XenForo 2.0 is the likely candidate for forum software, but the new version is not ready. It will incorporate enough changes that it should be worth the wait.

https://xenforo.com/community/thread...pdates.113262/
Old 08-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFast View Post
I would like to respectfully suggest an update to our home page. It's the first impression of our community to newcomers, and a representation of its membership group. Although I won't deny the 2014 models were quite exciting!

Yea.. I was just thinking.. What the ...????